Thread: "Gaia's Parthenon"

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default "Gaia's Parthenon"

Attached Images Attached Images

Mark IV 600/4 1/1000@f8 ISO 500

Originally I called this shot "Time to Turn" as this guy was chasing another heron and went right up to the falls before turning. But after seeing the "columns" of water, and how they seemed similar to columns say on the Parthenon in Athens, but natures own rendition in this case, I renamed it to "Gaia's Parthenon"---which may not be as evident in this no. 3 cropped composition as it is in nos. 1 and 2 which I hope to post later as they are finished. The entire scene is a stitch job of about six full frames depicting the entire scene before me, and after cropping for this composition, wound up with an area roughly 15 percent larger than a full frame shot. Whats nice is I am able to pull what I feel is four strong comps from the exact same stitched panoramic. But this one is something that comes close to a type of comp that I have wanted to use in a shot for a long time that is very different, and very strong. The inspiration came from this image by Pieter de Hooch (Who????) hee-hee..:

http://www.nga.gov/fcgi-bin/timage_f?ob ... 432&c=gg51

I love the strong building wall as a balance element taking up the entire right side of the frame, and in my image here, the stone on the right does the same. In fact all I had to do was to add or crop off stone to allow whatever amount I needed to achieve balance opposing the left side. Very nice to have those options available. In another image scenario, a huge tree trunk is another possibility for this type of a strategy. At any rate I have always loved that painting by Hooch and It's always been on my mind when going out in the field looking for compositions. The little girl standing so disciplined, shy, and obedient and adds such a powerful feeling to it all. She's pretty much seeming to be a minor player at first,but after a minute her sweetness grows on you heart exponentially. The use of an open area of sky in diagonal opposition spots to her her smallness augments how petite she is even more. I wasn't able to come up with a similar element in my image to use because nature is what nature is. But when I saw that powerful boulder the size of a house on the right, I was hoping something would happen and it did--but only after three days of shooting.

I wanted to post this one first and because I'm eager to see how others felt about the comp. The other two renditions(1&2) are simpler and not as involved.

Sky conditions were very cloudy --so soft light. The temptation usually it seems is to add contrast on the bird to make it pop, but I felt I would loose too much of that soft light feel if I did that.

This one was intended all the way to be blown up big and put to canvas. I hesitate to post such images because no way can you achieve that same feel and look on a site using a small jpg. So you have to use a little imagination I guess.

What do you think?

Paul

Gaia--from the ancient Mycenaean mythology: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaia_%28mythology%29
    Last edited by paul leverington; 06-30-2010 at 06:26 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think it is a unique and outstanding image Paul. I love the rich soft colours of the bird and the whole balance of the image. The bird position is perfect and I like the loose crop on the bird. The famous Canadian nature painter Robert Bateman often uses the technique of making the subject really small in the image, and it makes you wonder what the subject really is.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Chardine View Post
    I think it is a unique and outstanding image Paul. I love the rich soft colours of the bird and the whole balance of the image. The bird position is perfect and I like the loose crop on the bird. The famous Canadian nature painter Robert Bateman often uses the technique of making the subject really small in the image, and it makes you wonder what the subject really is.

Robert Bateman: I'm a big fan...

Fabs Forns

I also think it's an outstanding image. The bird is in the perfect position, with a beautiful dorsal view, the vertical flow of the water gives the image power and a feeling of power. Great job in having this all come together in a treat to the eyes. Chapeau!

Axel Hildebrandt

I've been looking at this image for quite a while and really like it. The unique setting/BG that looks almost painterly, the composition, wing position and look-back pose make this a wonderful image. Thanks for sharing!

Alfred Forns

Unique, different and works so well .. type image you enjoy and stay looking !! Bird placement is perfect and the water has lots of texture and feel Big Congrats on this one Paul !!!

Ofer Levy

WOW! Pretty amazing image!!! Love everything about it!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Paul,
    This is fabulous, the definition of the waterfall, position of the GBH, stretched body and dorsal view of this large bird which is suddenly overwhelmed by the rocks and the waterfall makes this very close to a classical landscape painting from the 18th century, indeed I have seen a painting (can't remember by who) that closely resembles this photo, the bird was some kind of eagle with exaggerated size and pose but overall feel was similar. I agree you need to have a large file that fills a big screen to appreciate the details and the mood of this image. soft light is exceptional.

well done! great work
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a remarkable job, Paul. I can't seem to get out of the image - the eye is stuck inside the frame like a pinball. I like everything about it, and I'm trying to imagine what the large file might look like printed.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

one amazing image Paul...love everything about it. I was thinking B&W for a while but losing the subtle colours would take away from the impact IMHO. the long focal length compression has also enhanced the feel you were going for. would love to see this printed very, very large...
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Little to add to what has already been said, Paul. Great result - well done. Looking forward to the others.
    Tony Whitehead
    Visit my blog at WildLight Photography for latest news and images.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arash_hazeghi View Post
    Hi Paul,
    This is fabulous, the definition of the waterfall, position of the GBH, stretched body and dorsal view of this large bird which is suddenly overwhelmed by the rocks and the waterfall makes this very close to a classical landscape painting from the 18th century, indeed I have seen a painting (can't remember by who) that closely resembles this photo, the bird was some kind of eagle with exaggerated size and pose but overall feel was similar. I agree you need to have a large file that fills a big screen to appreciate the details and the mood of this image. soft light is exceptional.

well done! great work
    Hi Arash--hey would love to know that painting your referring to if it ever comes to mind. Sounds like you check out paintings and artwork--would enjoy very much hearing about stuff you like.

Paul

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Ippolito View Post
    This is a remarkable job, Paul. I can't seem to get out of the image - the eye is stuck inside the frame like a pinball. I like everything about it, and I'm trying to imagine what the large file might look like printed.
    Hi John--You know I never heard it put that way but I like it. I think that's an analogy I'll use a lot from now on. I also have come to believe that it's this eye movement that holds a viewers attention on an image--hopefully all the while gaining a greater and greater appreciation for the elments within.

Paul

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Fantastic image and I love everything about it. :) Great vision for this.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

VERY CREATIVE!! AND AGREE WITH OTHER COMMENTS!! EXTREMELY WELL THOUGHT OUT AND EXECUTED!!
    MIKE

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Paul, I have nothing constructive to add here that has not already been said...just a big round of applause from me. WAY TO GO, this is ART!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another big fan of Bateman here ;) (John, you made a very good comparison)
    I think this image is good even without the bird but with the bird... is just killer. Superb conception of the image and well executed. Can´t wait to see more :)

Congratulations

IOTY Winner 2008 Chris van Rooyen's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Its all been said. Outstanding, congratulations!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Amazing image this. Opportunity very well used. Congrats.