Thread: Beach Blanket Dragonfly

Michael Pancier

Default Beach Blanket Dragonfly

While heading back from the lagoon to my car at Fort DeSoto, I found hundreds of these dragonflies hanging on to these large pieces of driftwood along the shoreline.

I immediately saw a photo op here with the goal of getting a dragonfly with the beach in the background. Since I was carrying my 7D and a 500 with me, I relied on my trusty G10 to do the work.

Canon G10
    1/250 at ƒ/8 in macro mode
    ISO 80
    Focal Length 15.673mm
    Built in flash at -2 Ev
    Distance from subject 270mm

Julie Kenward

Michael, that's an amazing image! It's almost surreal to see him with so much background around! Might tone down the highlights along his face and body but other than that...awesome image!

Michael Pancier

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Kenward View Post
    Michael, that's an amazing image! It's almost surreal to see him with so much background around! Might tone down the highlights along his face and body but other than that...awesome image!
    Thanks Julie. I was surprised that even at ƒ/8 which is the max the camera's lens will stop down to, I couldn't get a clear background, but I was still happy with the pic. Best macros I've ever done is with that G10.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice Michael, I like the unusual perspective and view of the environment.

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Michael,
    I bought my wife the G11 for Christmas......I may show her this so she doesn't go for my other Mark lll!!!:D I am constantly amazed at how well the P&S's do in macro when I teach beginner classes!

Very cool perspective on this one!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Mike...beautifully done!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful environmental shot! I agree that toning down the highlights would make it look even better. If it were mine, I'd probably crop a small amount from the top.

I'm also surprised at the DOF at f/8.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like the concept, the dragon needs the flash look toning down then its there.

Tim

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful shot, I agree a little less flash but I think the issue is that it is direct and not diffuse - maybe a piece of tissue (kleenex) or something similar over the head would make all the difference.:)

Michael Pancier

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Beautiful shot, I agree a little less flash but I think the issue is that it is direct and not diffuse - maybe a piece of tissue (kleenex) or something similar over the head would make all the difference.:)
    And that was at -2Ev. Can't go any lower than that, yet flash a must to properly expose. I wonder if there is any type of diffusers for these type of cameras, or perhaps I should invent one if not...:D