Thread: Apollo

sulasula

Default Apollo

Canon EOS 50D, Tamron 180/3.5

Its season just started in my country. I hope to see more of them later. Comments are welcome.

PETR BAMBOUSEK | WWW.SULASULA.COM

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A truly beautiful image I love the composition and the colours. The right wing is just a tad out of focus but that is for me a very minor issue - case of looking for fault as opposed for merit:) Great shot - love it!.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a very beautiful set of colours, the items that concern me are the out of focus flower on the right and the orientation of the butterfly (it makes me tilt my head, not sure if that's a problem).
    Nice one

Tim

Mike Moats

Hey PETR, very nice sharp image, good colors and BG. I would crop it in on the right side till you reach the area where the stem from the green bud attaches to the main stem, and then clone out the OOF purple bloom. Love the color combo.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Petr, your image isn't showing anymore. It did show earlier and I still see the thumbnail. Don't know what's wrong.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Petr, this is a very nice shot. The colors are fantastic but the butterfly looks a little dark. Lightening it up just a little should keep it from being overpowered by those great BG and flower colors. Mike's crop suggestion is a good one.

Julie Kenward

I can't see it either! Can you try to upload it again?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I can see it. Maybe there were problems with photoserver but it's showing now.

sulasula

Thanks everyone for comments. You are right, the butterfly could be brighter, I will repair that.

In terms of cropping and clonning, I am not fan of such kind of edit. I understand it takes the picture higher. I can arrange the flower, I can arrange the butterfly colded in refriginator but I feel it is not for me. In the same way I can arrange knife and spoon and make absolutely stunning picture of them both on the table. I prefer to photography nature life with its imperfection which, in my point of view, makes the situation more real, then sterille but absolutelly perfect set-up (either delivered by clonning). The Apollo butterfly is critical endengered species in my country. This is like holiday when I meet even one. It is fantastic to see them such close to make the picture. It is quite quick moment when this creature fly and sit on flower like this (it is absolutelly atipycal flower). I absolutelly respect your comments, just explain my point of view.

In case the photoserver will have problems again I reupload the picture again from my page. No lighten wings.

Kind regards,
    Petr

Roman Kurywczak

Hi Petr,
    I like the suggestions above but do understand your point of view! Given that, I would only lighten the BF a bit....that will be the final touch on a wonderful image!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Petr, I see both versions now! And they are wonderful! Very nice specimen, great background and I like how the line of the perch continues along the butterflies wing. The wings seem a bit oversharpened, but maybe that's just the way it is suppose to look. Don't mind the extra flower and appreciate your view on nature photography.

sulasula

Jerry: thanks for comment, you are right, the wings are oversharped. I am still fighting to resize 15MB image to 200 kB without loosing quality and with lots of details. Apollo has big wing scales and it is really nightmare to save it for web :-)