Thread: Laying Eggs

Roman Kurywczak

Default Laying Eggs

Attached Images Attached Images

From a recent trip to Longwood Gardens........laying on the ground, camera HH...practically in the water! Couldn't resist the reflection.
    Canon 1D Mark lll with the Sigma 180mm macro at f32:D for 1/100 sec and ISO 800 annd the MT24 twin lights used as main light at plus 2&1/3. Clean up of a few flash highlights in PP'ing......although not that many!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a good shot made great because of that reflection!

Maybe I need to dye my ponds black. :)

Roman Kurywczak

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Childs View Post
    This is a good shot made great because of that reflection!

Maybe I need to dye my ponds black. :)
    Thanks Ken! They say they do it to keep the algae down.....great for us!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice one Roman, there are multiple cool reflections in this one. I also like the fact that some green leaf reflections are maintained in the dark water. BTW they sell that black die at Longwood for home use...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Roman, wonderful shot...love the action captured and the reflection is awesome. Just a terrific mage.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Kurywczak View Post
    Canon 1D Mark lll with the Sigma 180mm macro at f32:D for 1/100 sec and ISO 800 annd the MT24 twin lights used as main light at plus 2&1/3. Clean up of a few flash highlights in PP'ing......although not that many!
    I'm not so fond of the excessive DOF at that distance and focal length. The dragonfly pair is lacking any sense of orientation in depth and thus look quite lifeless... The unnatural color of the water makes this even harder although that could be forgiven due to the interesting reflection of the surface.

Julie Kenward

That black water kind of threw me but I like this. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I think the blue on the abdomen of the df on the right seems off somehow - it almost feels like it's painted on?

What an awesome reflection here, Roman. Black water, eh?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the image concept but the dragonflies don't look real. Looks like a animated filter was used and too much sharpening and saturation.I would like to see a more realistic version. Still a kool image!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well captured but too strong on the flash for my liking.

Tim Munsey

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great moment Roman. Good use of f/32 !
    Very well seen & captured. Flash looks a bit strong.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It's a fine shot but I would have tried to use less flash if possible I realise light was less than optimal. The first thing that caught my eye was the blue on the male's body - especially the first few segments I suspect they were blown and you have reduced them in Shadows highlights or curves or perhaps I do you an injustice and there is reflection off the water, anyhow they look slightly smudged. Nevertheless it is a fine shot.

Mike Moats

Hey Roman, I just got done commenting on Tim's great D-fly with reflection and here is anothr one. I think you did a great job on producing the image, but have to say the black water doesn't work for me, as it reminds me of flower shots with black BG's, which I also don't care for. But the fact is this is still one awesome image.

Roman Kurywczak

Hi All,
    Thanks for the comments! Maybe it's a Jersey thing.....but our ponds usually have dark/black water anyway! The body was bright but not blown, but will double check the the original RAW histogram. I knew this wouldn't be everyones cup of tea.....but the colors are what drew me. I do have an earlier more natural light image.......not my favorite though!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Many good comments already given. I like the reflection in the black water. It would even have been better without the rippling.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Roman....the colors to me do look too intense and unnatural but i still find it an awesome image anyway!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice reflection and colors. I like the overall darkness. You must have amused some of the other visitors as you took this shot.