Thread: Damaged in Dogfight

Mike Fuhr

Default Damaged in Dogfight

Attached Images Attached Images

I was out looking for things to shoot the other day and came across some dflies. I took this shot and didn't realize that he was missing a significant part of his wing which didn't seem to affect his flying.:)

I like the background but the wind resulted in a bit of blur. Also like looking through his wing to see the eyes.

D300
    100-300/4
    300 mm
    F/6.3 (-.67)
    1/640
    Some minor cropping and sharpening added

Julie Kenward

That is a nice angle, Mike. For the blur I think a round of high pass filter sharpening might add a little more clarify.

If you want to try it: duplicate the background layer (Ctrl + J) and then choose filter/other/high pass. Set it to 3 pixels and then change the blend mode of the layer to overlay or soft light. I thought it added a little more sharpness to the eyes and abdomen.

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Mike,
    I like the pose, perch , and BG.....not loving the damage:(. I know it tells a story, but for me this would have been a deal breaker had I seen it in advance. Agree with Jules on the sharpness too.....so if isn't there....back to the drawing board!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mike, Jules is right. This looks soft all the way 'round. Give the high pass filter a try.

It seems that dragonflies have a spare set of wings. I've seem them with 1 or 2 wings (1 from each side) completely missing and it didn't seen to affect their flying abilities.

Mike Fuhr

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Childs View Post
    Mike, Jules is right. This looks soft all the way 'round. Give the high pass filter a try.

It seems that dragonflies have a spare set of wings. I've seem them with 1 or 2 wings (1 from each side) completely missing and it didn't seen to affect their flying abilities.
    Amazing how they can adapt, eh?

Roman, I agree on the overall softness, but kinda like the way the wing is -- it tells the story of nature's resilience. Jules, I'll see what I can do on the sharpness, although I don't have pp.:(

I have a few others that I will post tomorrow that have that sharpness...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

HI Mike....agree with sharpness issues raised but i really like the bg