Thread: Hooded Picture Plant

JB Ellis

Default Hooded Picture Plant

Attached Images Attached Images

What do you think of this flash treatment. The image was shot mid-day. I blocked the direct sun with my body and set the camera manually to -3 EVA, then held the flash under the plant and moved it around until I got the effect I wanted. Camera at 70mm and 1 foot from plant. flash at about 1.5 feet away. ISO 100, f32, 1/250 sec.

Forum Participant Valerio Tarone's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

wonderfull effect. Like very much the image. I don't knowwhat focal you used. a relatively dark Bg works well here

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

HI Jb...I am afraid this picture doesn't quite work for me....close..... but I would like to see more detail in the shadows

Threads
    Thank You Posts

JB..I like this image as presented, only thing I might do is clone out or darken the left hand pitcher plant but thats just me..

Roman Kurywczak

Hey JB,
    Very cool approach and this has some great stuff going for it......the mood is super as these are very difficult subjects.....so your lighting did fantastic stuff to this. I do think you have a few options at the bases....where the flash starts to fall off....on the right and center plants....bring up the shadow base area sligtly with a levels layer (or a few) to closer match the fall off on the LH one. My guess is that you got a shadow on the R 2 plants.......so just be aware of that. These are quite difficult to photograph because of location and shape of plant......I think a few tweaks will bring this up to even greater heights!

Mike Moats

Hey JB, very nice comp, and great lighting. Good details.

Julie Kenward

What a great mood this one has! I agree with Roman's ideas of how to tweak this but I love it as is as well. The fact that you can barely see the BG - really nicely placed and executed lighting - just one thing...

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) these are Pitcher Plants and not Picture Plants. ;)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi JB, the lighting is quite dramatic, I really like the COMP and think Roman covered the essentials.Very nice image.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love it - what a great idea - must try something similar.

JB Ellis

Thanks for the helpful comments and suggestions. Yes Jules, that's not the first time I spelled Pitcher Plant wrong. Rely to much on spell check.:)