Thread: Monarda

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Monarda

Attached Images Attached Images

Too bright?

Nikon D300, Sigma 105mm macro, f3.3 (relative), 1/125, ISO 500, tripod, manual focus and exposure, outdoors, evening. PP: PS7 & Elements 7, basic adj., used some color filters, Denoise, green vignette.

Julie Kenward

This is a very cool looking plant, Anita! I am left feeling like the repeating pattern and other items in the BG are a bit overwhelming, though. I think if there were just the yellow or only the repeating blossom in the BG I'd really like this even more. As is, it feels a bit busy to me.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very interesting plant and the flower is well captured. Like Julie, I feel the BG competes too much with the subject.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, you are right, Jules and Allen. Thanks so much!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Anita, The monarda can be a challenging flower to shoot. I agree with comments above that the backround is a bit busy and bright for my taste. I like the diagonal stem but feel more DOF would of helped if there wasn't so much material in the backround...

Roman Kurywczak

Hi Anita,
    I agree with the above advice but I found your first instict/question very intriguing.....perhaps darkening this greatly.....except the center darker area.....might minimize the BG and yet show off the flower and all the intricate petals.