Thread: Female Mallard - Having a rant

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Female Mallard - Having a rant

Attached Images Attached Images

Took this image yestereday whilst out for a stroll along the river Stort

Typical female - plenty to say for herself ;) (joke honest) :)

1D MK3, 100-400 @ 400, f5.6, 1/500sec, ISO250 Handheld.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It could be the swirls around her playing tricks on my eyes, but it looks like this needs some rotation. The sidelight is a bit harsh, but the way it falls on the open bill is a plus. Maybe some fill on the left would have helped a bit.

Alfred Forns

Hi Pete

Sure wish you had some better light/direction on this one Sure captured the moment but the shadows detract Might be able to do with PS work Love that open beak !!!

Robert Amoruso

Pete,

I spent some time working it and got the following.

What I did:

1) Curves adjustment and used a reverse s-curve. This lowered overall contrast
    2) Created BG Copy and open the Shadow/Highlight Dialog and played around with the amount & tonal widths. On the highlights I was very aggressive with the amount (75). Do to your liking.
    3) Slective Color adjustment layer and added 2% black to the neutral and black channels to add some pop lost in the reverse s-curve w/o increasing contrast.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The repost is better except for the funky blues. Good job on the quack. When you work off angle to the light, you invite trouble.

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Robert, thanks for the re post and explanation. :)

Also thanks to all for comments and advise... :)

Anita Rakestraw

There is something about the sweet face and carriage of ducks and geese that always makes the words "courageous dignity" come to my mind. And this one has that cute little "Donald Duck" expression on its face, with the open beak. I straightened the image, then I selected the shadowed area of the duck with a large amount of feathering and applied fill flash (in PSP X2). I desaturated the moss at the top a little, and added a little overall contrast back to the image. Don't know if it's better, but the shadow is alot less distracting. She is so cute; I'd be happy to have made this image.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Anita :)