Thread: Olifants River Vista

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Olifants River Vista

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was taken on a gloomy day in December 2009 in the Kruger Park.

Taken from the bridge that crosses the Olifants river. When we came back across this bridge a few days later it had rained so much that the river was in full flood and none of the sand banks in this image were visible anymore.

This is a 3-image HDR processed in Photomatix and PS CS3.

Techs:
    Nikon D300s with 18-200mm VR @ 18mm
    f8.0 @ ISO-200
    I leveled the horizon by the ground level inside the river and not the sloping "walls"
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Morkel,good job with the HDR not knowing you used the technique just looking at the image. The sky has alot of detail and drama. Your comp is interesting due to the 2 leading lines converging. Might have wanted the image just a bit brighter while still keeping the mood. I also wish for more interest in the foreground...

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Morkel, I don't feel that this has as much interest as many that you have shared in Landscape. Perhaps I'm looking for a point of interest here which I don't end up finding, leaving my eye roaming around. I also find the horizon unsettling although I think you have levelled it correctly, the way the photo has been composed with the cliffs rolling around from left to right, leave a distinct slope to the horizon which is disconcerting.

I do think the HDR has been handled well and is not overdone and good detail is showing in the foreground and in the clouds.

Robert Amoruso

THough Morkel may not have a center of interest, the leading lines and the good details in the sand and clouds pull it all together.

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Morkel,
    I'm leaning with Dave on this one.....although you may be able to do a few tweaks to get some more depth and interest. Perhaps pulling out some more depth/brightness in the darker green MG or even some selective dodging and burning of the yellow grasses.....not huge amounts....just to give that FG some added interest. Really well handled with the blend!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

thanks for the comments everyone...

I wish I could get more "FG interest" but being limited to your car is restrictive - I try my best to capture the grandeur of places like Kruger from the car and from selected lookout points where you can get out at your own risk.

Roman - will tweak a bit more tonight...
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE