Thread: mandarin /woodduck

Jeff Wear

Default mandarin /woodduck

Attached Images Attached Images

I think this is a female mandarin but maybe a woodduck ?? But she is always with the Mandarin male, but never gets her picture taken :D d300 iso 400 f8 noo flash

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cropping off about half the reflection would strenghten the image. With a full reflection it is best to avoid having it touch the edge of the frame as you do here. The branch at right is a little distracting.

Robert Amoruso

Jeff,

Great looking bird and from your description, I guess you get to see her often. I suggest that you work to eliminate the distracting branches. You can use corn (or whatever is appropriate for them) to lurer them around to better positions. Getting low will help to eliminate distractions. Of course getting low lessens the reflection. Daniel's suggestion on the reflection touching the image edge is a good one.

Judy Lynn Malloch

Beautiful looking woodduck with excllent detail and eye contact. I agree with Daniel's comments on the reflection and the branch to the right. Thanks for sharing and will look forward to more posts on this beauty Jeff.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jeff, lovely water here, I agree with the previous comments about the branch, though.

I do believe to see a female Mandarin (which I see a lot around here), and to confirm, my book says the Mandarin's tip of beak is light, while it would be dark on a wood duck. Also, the "eye liner" is less wide for the Mandarin than for the wood duck, so I vote for Mandarin here. Would also match her sexual orientation, from what you wrote ;-)

Jeff Wear

Thank you I also ask a few [experts --lol] and I did a better side by side look with a female wood duck and agree .The thing I noticed most the wood duck has blue 3/4 back on the on the upper part of the wing .Thanks again for taking the time for helping me with the ID

Jeff Wear

thank you all for the feed back and advice --so is this what you had in mind ???

Alfred Forns

Hi Jeff The re post is better I like what you did

Would suggest going tighter with the crop The reflection is not perfect so I would do away with it Posting my version below Always keep in mind is all subjective