Thread: Pelican Sunset

Emory Moody

Default Pelican Sunset

Attached Images Attached Images

Pelican greeting another bird that landed on the perch with him. Taken about a half hour before sunset. Image has been edited to remove a boat mast that was distracting, also added some canvas in front of the bird. Underexposed slightly to intensify the color in the sky.

Nikon D300
    ISO 800
    Sigma 50-500 racked out to 500
    F/22 at 1/1000 sec.
    Manual focus

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this image. It's sharp. And a nice pose on the bird. Would like to see a bit less above the bird though.

Robert Amoruso

Nice one Emory and thanks for the details on the post-processing. I like the negative space above the bird.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Emory,

This is way cool. Love the open bill. Too bad that he did not raise his wings more. There is a funky vertical line inside the right frame-edge... Better to expose to the right (and not to underexpose). The rich colors will be there when you do your Levels ADJ... And the resutling file will have less noise and more color info.

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Emory Moody

Thanks Artie, guess I am just still trying to get rid of all those bad habits I picked up when I was shooting film

Emory

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Was the mast below the tail on the right? There is a bit of a smudge there as well as maybe a dust bunny just off the tail.

I like this one a lot with the deep orange and the dark bird.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Emory
    It's a beautiful silhouette. I just rather like looking at it.....thinking warm, sunlight, birds, ocean....then the reality hits.....snow, dreary, cold. Oh well......back to the real world. Well done.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

An excellent shot Emory I love the open bill and the wing position and the rich colors very pleasing to the eye. I do find the line coming down on a vertical a bit distracting in the upper right corner. Alittle PS work can take care of that and clean it up.... Well Done!!!!!

David Lowell

Emory,

This fits in with some of Rosl's photographs - I just keep coming back again and again to admire them.

Thanks for posting

David Lowell

Forum Participant Manos Papadomanolakis's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like the pose and the colors!

Alfred Forns

Excellent silhouette Even with the funky wing position I like it a lot !!! Good advice regarding exposure!!!