Mode: Av
    Metering: Multi-segment
    Exp comp: +1/3
    ISO: 640
    AF mode: MANUAL
    White auto

TTL - 3

Julie Kenward

That's about as lovely as they come, Sandy! Might give it just a slice more on the left side but I understand why you cropped it tight on that side - it balances well with the right. Lovely use of flash - I don't see any specular highlights. The yellow center draws my eye right in and it sinks there...really quite nice to look at!

Me, personally, I'd lose the border but I know some people prefer them on lighter BG's.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

gorgeous flower shot...love the tones and that unusual background color is great. I like the angle of the flower too.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The is beautiful, Sandy! The comp is nice as is but I agree with Jules that a bit more on the left might make this even better. Maybe a slice off the top, too.

What did you use for the BG?

sandy richards

Thanks for the comments!

Ken, I have a number of dropcloths I use for BG's sometimes, with a separate flash on the BG (as for this shot) . Other times, when I'm lazier and don't want to set everything up, I simply lose the entire BG with a program like Topaz Re-Mask, and then add another.:)

As a painter, I usually put a border onphoto images. They just look incomplete to me without one. I appreciate that some don't like borders, though.

Sandy

Julie Kenward

Sandy I've been thinking of using some different colored fabrics for backgrounds in some florals. What colors do you find work well or not well? Do you like heavier fabric? How large a size do you usually purchase these dropcloths in? I'd love to know more!

Forum Participant OvidiuCavasdan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful all around! Like it a lot!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice. I'm not usually a fan of frames in digital images but I think in this case the thin frame in light of these colors works...

sandy richards

Hi Julie, I'm surely not an expert on dropcloths! But what works for me is a light non-shiny fabric with a large thread count so it's a very fine weave. Otherwise, you'd need to place it far behind the subject to have the weave blurred. You could also blur it if needed with a Gaussian blur.

I get about 3 ft by 5 ft pieces, to leave room for draping over or tacking to a light frame. I have some plain light colors, as well as black, red, and white. There are lots of muted floral prints that would work well too, I think.

I also use posterboards sometimes, but the largest most are is 2 by 3. Lots of colors available.

The trick is to have very good light or a couple flashes to use on the BG so the color stays true.

Frankly, it's usually easier to just get rid of the BG with Re-Mask and put another in.

Hope this helps -

Sandy

Julie Kenward

It does, Sandy! I've often thought about going into a fabric store during a sale and gathering up a few but didn't know what would look best - this will definitely get me moving in that direction now. Thanks!

Roman Kurywczak

Hi Sandy,
    Well.....the complimentary colors of the Bg and flower are great! Another vote for no frame and a touch more room right (even for me ....Mr Tight crop!)......but very wel composed and extremely well lit!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful flower and beautiful image. Love the colors, the lighting, the smoothness. Did you use one of the Topaz filters? I'm a big fan of BGs that sort of match the color of the flower, and this one is perfect. The crop works for me. The only thing I would change is the angle of the stem and flower--I'd like to see them tilted a bit clockwise so the flower doesn't look like it might fall over. Thank you for describing the fabrics you use. New question: how do you set up the bg? Do you stretch the fabric or hang it? How do you avoid wrinkles? It is great to learn new techiques.

sandy richards

Thanks, Anita and others..
    As far as the BG set-up, it can be very simple or very complicated.
    Complicated as in big permanent wood frames with the cloth craefully stretched and secured to the sides with built-in clamps along the edges of the frames.
    Simple, like what I do, as in draped across a light frame made of PVC and pinned together at the edges. Roll the fabric on a fabric roll between uses and there will be no wrinkles. If the BG is far enough behind the subject, it will be blurry anyway.

I used to have the "complicated" permanent set up when I had a pseudo-studio in an extra BR in my old home.
    Now I'm in a smaller place and no room for a studio - but the "simple" set-up works fine.

I've seen BG "stands" made of one of those inexpensive aluminum clothing racks on wheels. (like $20 at Bed, Bath, and Beyond) Just stretch the fabric between the sides and pin.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for info, Sandy. The simple approach sounds good to me. :-)