Thread: Barrow: 4:47 am

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Barrow: 4:47 am

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created today in very (we had been in the field before 4am) early morning light on the very cold and windy tundra of Barrow, AK with the Canon 800mm f/5.6L IS lens, the 1.4X II TC, and the EOS 1D MIV. Our main goal was to photograph Spectacled Eider and that we did, but I would rather photograph the more beautiful species than the really rare bird :) ISO 800. Evaluative metering +2/3 stop: 1/640 sec. at f/8.

It is a healthy crop from the right and below. Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

Yeah, I would have liked to have been a lot closer :)
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, liked the rule-of-thirds placement a lot here. Colors are wonderful....what a bird. Sweet light too. Thx for sharing this beauty.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Killer comp Artie. Very beautiful bird.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

One of my absolute favourite birds Artie and you did it justice here. Love the comp, light, HT and colours. The grasses in the BG give a nice hint of the habitat. Hope I can get something this good in Spitsbergen in a week or so. BTW when I am back I'll drop you a mail about the possibilities in the Netherlands for you and whomever you want to bring with, I'll add some photo's so you'll know what to expect.

Cheers,

Krijn

Laura Stiefel

Hi, Artie,

I'm amazed by how this large duck appears so delicate here. This is a lovely photo and I think the smallish size in the frame along with the included habitat help lend a sense of place to the photo. Hope you're all having fun!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Laura Stiefel View Post
    Hi, Artie, I'm amazed by how this large duck appears so delicate here. This is a lovely photo and I think the smallish size in the frame along with the included habitat help lend a sense of place to the photo. Hope you're all having fun!
    Thanks Laura. It is great to see you here. All is well and we are doing great. It has been very cold and very windy. With wind against sun in the afternoons I have been staying in. With the sun up 24 hours afternoons last from about 11am until 2am. We do start early. :)
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Laura Stiefel

Thanks, Artie. It's nice to be here! Glad to hear all is well. I would have loved to have come. BZ will wear himself to the bone if given half a chance.

Here's a word of caution- he's not the driver he thinks he is! Ask him about falling asleep while driving on our way to Duluth.

Have a wonderful trip!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That is one great bird, we get only one or two here every winter, but never
    in such great plumage. Good luck with the Spectacled...

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That is early.
    Really like shot, soft light. Like the placement of the bird. First time seeing this. TFS.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Laura Stiefel View Post
    Thanks, Artie. It's nice to be here! Glad to hear all is well. I would have loved to have come. BZ will wear himself to the bone if given half a chance. Here's a word of caution- he's not the driver he thinks he is! Ask him about falling asleep while driving on our way to Duluth. Have a wonderful trip!
    Thanks. Here is a true Brian Zwiebel story from this morning. He is driving along on a tundra road. He sees a Glaucous Gull flying by. They are not unusual up here. He puts the van in Park and jumps out. Only he missed Park and the vehicle is in Reverse. As he jumps out he almost falls and gets run over by his own vehicle. (When I mentioned that later he states that he has already been run over by his own car.) Between EJ and Brian they managed to stop the vehicle before we wound up in a snow bank.

Laura Stiefel

Ha ha ha! This is classic. I'm crying from laughing so hard. :)

He often asks me if he's gotten me killed yet. I tell him it's the "yet" that worries me.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gorgeous bird and equally gorgeous image
    TFS

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie
    Oh what a morning. Closer....sure...but there's gold in those images. Still a wonderful image....colorful and worth every shiver and bit of numbness. Oh.....and the "Z" story....I hadn't heard it but it certainly is a typical "Z" story. Here's to more good birds, closer, good light and a continued successful week.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

i like the duck color contrast with water texture, inspires me the tranquility that only gives the natural beauty

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great shot, great light, great angle, and a great project--Barrow in June. Wish I were there.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

looks very good, does look very delicate and elegant, were you shooting in the water?
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sweet light, colors, comp, killer BG, and low angle, makes this a fine image.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

looks like the whole world is meeting up in AK ;-)
    Lovely image. I like the darl blue foreground combined with the brownish BKGR. The bird is stunning anyways :) Wish I can be there one day, too :)

Forum Participant
    Maryland's Eastern Shore, beside Fairlee Creek near the Chesapeake Bay
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A bright, colorful bird well positioned according to the rule-of-thirds. But I find the blurred water in the immediate foreground to be a distraction. I would crop more tightly to try to minimize this distraction.:)

Norm

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arash_hazeghi View Post
    looks very good, does look very delicate and elegant, were you shooting in the water?
    Thanks alll :) We were all seated or prone along the edge of a pond. Aside from walking through shallow tundra ponds, it is best to stay out of the water as the bottom of the small lakes are often covered with icy mounds that would make walking treacherous if not fatal....

See the last two Blog posts for more on Barrow.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie,
    Great looking bird!!! Amazing coloration....
    Wonderful photo however I would like to see more of a crop....:)
    Best
    Michael

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'll definitely try to remember the value in using +exposure bias while panned below the horizon which of late I've rarely done. I suspect the water never gets warm enough to consider entering at the venue seen here. Wading in water without the chance of encountering an alligator, or unwittingly so, has been enjoyable. The crop and subject are extremely appealing.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pelkey View Post
    I'll definitely try to remember the value in using +exposure bias while panned below the horizon which of late I've rarely done. I suspect the water never gets warm enough to consider entering at the venue seen here. Wading in water without the chance of encountering an alligator, or unwittingly so, has been enjoyable. The crop and subject are extremely appealing.
    Hi Bob, The amount of plus compensation needed will vary depending on the light, the tonality of the BKGR (and the SUBJ), and the camera you are using. Best to see and study Exposure Simplified in ABP II (916 pages on CD only).