Thread: Caterpiller ID?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Caterpiller ID?

Attached Images Attached Images

Shot this today in my backyard after I saw it sitting on a plant munching away.
    Anyone know the type?
    Nikon D300,200mm macro,twin flash,iso 400,F22.1/60,O comp,tripod mtd

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dave. It looks like a Black Swallowtail. What kind of plant did you see it on? Their host plants are in the carrot/parsely family. Dill and fennel for example. I have a couple of these guys on my carrot plants right now. BTW, that orange thing at its head is called an osmeterium. It is a defensive structure, and can emit a nasty-smelling chemical.
    Last edited by Julie Brown; 06-14-2010 at 04:04 PM.
    My photoblog: juliebrown.aminus3.com

My galleries: julielbrown.smugmug.com

My WordPress blog: indybirdphotographer.com

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks”.

John Muir

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great colors and comp. You might try shooting these with a standard flash and a bounce card so you get better lighting on the back of the bug

I also think it's a Black Swallowtail. If you're quick on the draw, poke at it with a stick to get it to fully extend the osmetria and then snap a quick shot. They are used as a defense mechanism so when you disturb one, they extend the osmetria and then arch their body backwards to try and stink up the attacker.

http://www.finishflagfarms.com/other...-IMG_1572.html

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'll leave the ID'ing ot the others...Dave this is a great looking caterpillar..colors & pattern are neat. If I ever see one I am going to try the stick idea. Thanks

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Julie,BINGO...found him on a dill plant my wife recently planted. Thanks for the info...I knew I could get it here.
    I put him on a lavendar branch and he seemed happy sitting on it while I shot him. To get him to face my way I gently rubbed the side in my direction so his head pointed there. When I touched his head the ost.... came out and I wanted a shot with that sticking out. The best example is what I posted.
    He is now back on the dill plant and seems happy......

Mike Moats

Hey Dave, cool critter, like the diagonal line of the perch. Great colors.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the tones and texture of the caterpillar you caught. I have a bunch of parsley on my back deck waiting for just such a critter.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dave, great HA on the little guy know you just need to get him when he emerges as a Swallowtail.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

Julie Kenward

Beautiful caterpillar Dave! You really got in close on this one! The only thing I see that might improve on this already wonderful image is a slight adjustment to the head area so it is as bright as the rest of the insect. It feels just a tad bit darker up there because of the tickle you gave him. ;)

Forum Participant OvidiuCavasdan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice found, sharp and beautiful colors. Like the composition and the dark BG. Very nice image!

Forum Participant Valerio Tarone's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David it's a caterpillar of the swallowtail (Papilio Macaon) source: readers digest Nature lovers, in my library.
    like the pose, details, colors.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Valerio Tarone View Post
    Hi David it's a caterpillar of the swallowtail (Papilio Macaon) source: readers digest Nature lovers, in my library.
    like the pose, details, colors.
    The caterpillars of Old World, Anise and Black Swallowtails are all very similar but since Dave took this shot in NJ, it's probably a Black Swallowtail. The other 2 are western species.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks folks! appreciate the comments and information..

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Dave,
    So much cool info on the thread! I agree you may lighten it some on the face and the bounce on the back was a good idea by Ken.....looks like you will have a few more shots at this!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Neat Dave and good suggestion by Ken. They are amazing to watch when they emerge. They let their wings dry off and then it is off they go.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dave ,

This is a very nice photo of a Black Swallowtail. Looks exactly like the photo of an Anise Swallowtail in my book " The Audubon Society: Field Guide to N. American Butterflies but you live in NJ as Ken pointed out. I have two varieties of milkweed here in Florida looking for Monarchs. Unfortunately, my birdfeeder must be to close. Lost another catepillar last week. Boy I'm ticked.

Once again like your photo. Think the BG sets it off...

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wesley View Post
    I have two varieties of milkweed here in Florida looking for Monarchs. Unfortunately, my birdfeeder must be to close. Lost another catepillar last week. Boy I'm ticked.
    Charlie, Did you see them get eaten? Because they eat milkweed, Monarchs are poisonous so birds don't usually eat them. If the last time you saw a caterpillar it was relatively large, it's probably off somewhere in a chrysalis.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ken,

Of Course you're correct. My bad. Found another monarch about 1/2 inch long eating away. Can't find original catepillar anywhere. I assumed he would build his pupa on the host plant.

Thanks so much. Where should I look?
    Last edited by Charles Wesley; 06-20-2010 at 07:20 AM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The caterpillars usually scatter and it can be really hard to find the chrysalis. If you want to keep an eye on one, grab a relatively large caterpillar, put in it a container with some sticks and some milkweed leaves and it won't be long before it starts to change. Once the chrysalis forms, put the stick in a shady spot and check it every morning.

I grow fennel for the Black Swallowtails and even though I've seen at least 500 caterpillars over the years, I've only found 5 chrysalides and 3 of those happened to be on the host plant. Most disappear off into the undergrowth before they form their chrysalis.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ken,

Thanks for the information. Did not know the statistics were so stacked against me. Understand what you're saying. Must get much more observant...