Thread: Rite of Spring

Lance Warley

Default Rite of Spring

Attached Images Attached Images

This marks the third Spring that I've had the privilege of observing baby birds fledge on the back island in the Wakodahatchee wetlands, near my home in south Florida. The past two years, it's been just one species - Tri's. This year, in addition to at least eight baby Tri's, there's a riot going on with several baby Glossy's, Snowies, and Cattle's.

The time of year is perfect, because Wako is not at all crowded with humans. Tourists are long gone, and the heat keeps away most of the locals. Many mornings, it's just me and maybe one or two other photographers.

I'm thankful to have been given this privilege. It's such a pleasure to be able to observe the babies' behavior so closely as they develop from chicks to flappers to accomplished aerialists. The first flights are awkward, unsteady, and understandably fraught with fear, if I'm not anthropomorphizing too much.

This activity doesn't last very long. In about a month, the entire island will probably be empty, based upon prior years' behavior.

This shot is of a baby Tri coming in for a landing, with a look of terror on its face.

Thank you Wakodahatchee for a wonderful, awe-filled way to start the day.

P.S. Here's a post from from last year on the same event: http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...ad.php?t=37922
    Last edited by Lance Warley; 06-14-2010 at 10:09 AM.

Lance Warley

Here's a baby Glossy, with its distinctive neck markings.

Lance Warley

And a baby Snowy.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Lance, Really great to be able to see this and capture it all so nicely. My fav. is the baby Snowy-looks so innocent!

sandy richards

Lance, these are all excellent shots. I'm very envious of your being so close to this habitat (and all the others in Florida, too)
    The snowy is especially nice, with great handling of the white, fine detail, wing position, and a charming "expression."

Sandy

Julie Kenward

Outstanding (but don't let James see you posting three images in one thread or he'll beat you with a wet noodle!) I also love the snowy but the opening post made me laugh out loud! Gotta love that look!

I'm so glad you added that link...it reminded me of those images of yours from last year. Although they are all outstanding, that second one on the old post blows me away every time. I just love it!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lance, great images and I agree that it is a wonderful privelege to watch this all happen. I have been consumed with chicks and fledglings this last couple of months. I managed to photograph kestrels, red-tailed hawks, western bluebirds, canada geese, snowies, Nuttal's woodpeckers, and mallards. Great time of year!
    "It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera... they are made with the eye, heart, and head." - Henri Cartier Bresson

Please visit me on the web at http://kerryperkinsphotography.com