Thread: Rotation How-To With Reflections

David Hemmings

Default Rotation How-To With Reflections

I liked the pose and reflection of this Lesser Yellowlegs, I would have likes a lower shooting angle, but I was on a pier.

Canon 1D MK 11 N / Canon 300 2.8 IS + 2X tc / 1/1600th @ f8 ISO 400 / handheld

Last edited by Arthur Morris; 03-03-2008 at 06:37 AM.

Axel Hildebrandt

Cool pose and reflection! Maybe a bit more contrast.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very sweet. If you had been lower, I believe that the reflection would have been smaller. It looks as if it may benefit from a small CCW rotation. There is an easy way to check. Use the ruler tool to draw a line from the tip of the bill to the tip of the bill in the reflection. Then hit Image/Rotate Canvas/Arbitrary. If it comes up anythign but 0, then it needs some rotation.

See Fabs detailed tutorial above.

Later and love, artie
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 03-03-2008 at 06:37 AM.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

David Hemmings

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Very sweet. If you had been lower, I believe that the reflection would have been smaller. It looks as if it may benefit from a small CCW rotation. There is an easy way to check. Use the ruler tool to draw a line from the tip of the bill to the tip of the bill in the reflection. Then hit Image/Rotate Canvas/Arbitrary. If it comes up anythign but 0, then it needs some rotation.
    Later and love, artie
    You are right about the reflection, good point. Fascinating, I did the ruler tool you suggested and it came up 1.42 ccw, fascinating, thanks!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Hemmings View Post
    You are right about the reflection, good point. Fascinating, I did the ruler tool you suggested and it came up 1.42 ccw, fascinating, thanks!
    After that you simply crop (and add a bit of canvas if necessary). This same technique works well--of course--for leveling crooked horizons for those times when you forgot your bubble level. As there are often a hundred ways to do something in Photoshop, Digital Basics covers several methods of rotating canvas to ensure that an image is square to the world.

Later and love and keep up the great work. Artie
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 03-03-2008 at 06:38 AM.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

David Hemmings

Quote Originally Posted by David Hemmings View Post
    I liked the pose and reflection of this Lesser Yellowlegs, I would have likes a lower shooting angle, but I was on a pier.

Canon 1D MK 11 N / Canon 300 2.8 IS + 2X tc / 1/1600th @ f8 ISO 400 / handheld

Here is the image after using Artie's method of straightening the horizon as mentioned in his original reply. The technique worked wonderfully.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David, I really love the image! Stopped me right away, wonderful!