Thread: The Muncher

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default The Muncher

Attached Images Attached Images

Eating its way through my flowers. The flowers are about 1/2' to 3/4" or 12 to 20mm in diam and bug about 8mm.
    50D, 100, f/2.8macro, 1/200, f/4 EC+1/3 and ISO800, tripod, and cropped a bit from right. I am pretty sure had some extension tubes on but can't remember what lengths.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dave, Good lighting and nice diagonal position of the bug. I really like the areas of focus but long for more to be in focus. I realize you were shooting at 1/200(which is slow) but I would also have tried shooting the bug at F16 or 22 as long as I was using a tripod. Worse case it wouldn't be sharp....good effort..

Lance Peters

Hi Dave - agree with Daves comments - F4 for Macro just aint going to cut it. Going to need to stop down lots important to get as much DOF as you can - IMHO, Depending of course on what it is you are trying to create.
    Good effort here and looking forward to seeing more :)

Alfred Forns

Hi Dave !! Mighty fine bug and I'm heading out to find some :)

For bugs I like keeping the shutter speed up since the do move a lot, if they just sit there crank up the aperture to 16 as suggested by Dave. Selective focus is the key to these images !! ... glad you got the ISO up !!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks guys for the comments.

This guy was moving quite fast and I may have gotten by with a bit slower ss but not much.

I do have a few fly photos that in retrospect I now wish I had stopped down some.

I have not done any really slow stuff and so need to give it a try.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

that's pretty cool, dave. agree that stopping down might have made it better, but you got the eye in focus!!