Thread: What A mess---probably, definately not my last

VinceRossi

Default What A mess---probably, definately not my last

Attached Images Attached Images

Here in NJ there aren't too many BIG BIRDS to shoot and even then you have to travel to get them. So I guess I will shoot Ospreys when I can.

I tried getting rid of the noise (@ISO 800, The more I use my Nikon D5000 the less I like it. Too much noise and the LCD has terrible picture quality.)

I was not successful in getting the noise out but I was successful in screwing up the picture. Cropping, and other adjustments applied.

1/1250
    Aperture Priority
    F9
    ISO 800
    Focal Length 300mm + 1.4 TC
    Lens 70-300mm + 1.4 TC
    Center weighted

Alfred Forns

Hi Vince

I did not see the compensation but if you had any under exposure the noise will be bad !! Just looking at the posted image would guess it was a little under !! Metering wise would not use center weighted try the matrix !!

Tough situation coming up with a winner here, just have some fun and enjoy !! Maybe one of the birds will fly/perch closer to your location !!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Vince, Agree with Al's comments. For a shot like this to be effective you'll need more reach and catch the birds tighter. You have alot of sky in the image which probably threw off your exposure...

VinceRossi

Thanks Guys but as you can see the nesting locations are fixed in this area. I would say at least 100 to 150 feet away. They are in a researve and they don't want anybody getting close to the birds. So that make everything difficult. As I mentioed I shot this with a 70-300mm lens with a 1.4 TC and still can't get close enough. STINKS doesn't it.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

hey vince. watch there flight patterns in association to the winds. some winds might offer you the opportunity for some closer flight action. i hear ya about being challenged with the smaller lenses. makes the keepers that much better!!!

Lance Peters

Hi Vince - just have to find a way - dont know about over in the states - and maybe we have some more photographer friendly powers that be out here - try contacting whoever is responsible for the site - maybe they go in at certain times and would allow a photographer to accompany them.
    You never know unless you ask - and all they can do is say NO - nothing to loose.
    Worked for me with the Gannet colony here in OZ!!