Thread: Darker birds and white to beige flowers

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Darker birds and white to beige flowers

Attached Images Attached Images

I've spent a couple mornings photographing some of the birds that use the nectar from our large saguaro cacti.
    Got some shots that I really like to composition of, but exposure is difficult. If I follow the camera, then the flowers come out perfect, but the darker birds are a little underexposed. If I adjust it during the shot then I lose way too much of the flowers detail. I'm assuming my only option is photoshop and I'm a newbie.
    I think what you guys refer to as a mask would help, where I only lighten the bird but not the whole photo, is that correct? Can you guys recommend a book or site with tutorials that would help me do it. I have Art's digital basics but still struggling.
    Here is a white winged dove on a nice mat of fresh flowers opened that night around 7 AM. I'm having similar problems with some nice Curve bill thrashers.
    Canon 7d
    100 - 400 5.6 L lens at 300, on tripod.
    F-11 at 1/800 with ISO at 320.
    Your input is greatly appreciated, and these guys are too far for me to use my 580 for fill flash and can't afford a better beamer yet. Hoping I can get it where I want with photoshop.

Lance Peters

Hi Stan - Your problem is that the dynamic range of the scene exceeds what your camera can capture - often a problem in harsh light - so the solution is softer light or the use of some fill flash or a HDR - Bit hard with birds that tend not to want to stay in the same place :)

You could just select the bird using the quick selection tool and then try a levels adjustment layer too adjust the bird only - Check out the educational resources forum - lots of great tutorials and the likes in there.
    You have Arties Digital Basics - just follow the directions - take your time and go slowly and you will get it eventually - dont know of anything thats easier than Arties instructions.

It just all takes practice - couple of tips...
    1. Turn on your overxposure warning in camera
    2. Understand and use your Histogram on the camera LCD.

AND.... Keep em coming :)

Alfred Forns

Hi Stan

The only trick here is soft light !! As soon as the sun gets to full strength you will have a problem .. either block the shadows or blow the highlights !!! btw assume you are on manual for metering? As the bird move around exposure will change but light remains constant !!!

Tough framing with the flowers Might want to try a vertical with the bird smaller in frame !!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

OK Lance, good advice on the quick selection and I was able to come away with the image I wanted.
    But as long as your offering advice I'm going to take advantage of it.

I have the highlight warning on, and it's saved me many times. It did not flash for this one, and that really is how those large white flowers look. They are bright and I was pleased with the slight off white of their color in the image.
    I also watch the histogram consistently, now, but here is where my lack of experience and knowledge affects me.
    Here is the histogram of the whole pic

I assumed the peak to the right was the flowers, and a quick selection in photoshop confirmed that. I thought the peak was the bird, and I still think it is. I understand it's a little to the left but if I opened it up, even 1/3 stop, I think I would have overexposed the flowers. The pegging to the left baffles me, and it happens alot when I'm photographing birds with complicated backgrounds. I really don't know what that is in the pic, as there is not alot of really dark colors (other than the saguaro in the background).

Other than being fortunate enough to get the pic an hour or more earlier, is there any other suggestions you or anyone else could make if you were looking at that histogram on the back of your camera? I'd love to hear yours and others suggestions and very much appreciate it.

I'm still really at the bottom of the exp compensation curve, and I'll be posting more that I will have questions of and hopefully get some more good feedback.
    Last edited by Stan Cunningham; 06-01-2010 at 12:01 AM.