Thread: Making a New Home

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Making a New Home

Attached Images Attached Images

A Royal Palm tree died in the neighborhood and the entire top collapsed leaving a hollow trunk at the top of the palm tree. Two Blue and Gold Macaws that escaped from the Parrot Jungle during hurricane Andrew in 1992 (or at least are decendents) set up a new nest in this palm. I'll post an image of the 2 of them later. Canon 1D MK IV, EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM, 300mm (390mm), ISO 800, f/10.0, 1/500 sec, -0.33 EV, Evaluative Metering, Auto Exposure, Auto WB, No Flash. This was photographed at sunset. Comments Welcome.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice pose with all the wing spread and good eye contact. Lucky you to find Macaws in the wild (even though once captive), and even better they are making a nest!

I do see some halos around the bird.

Lance Peters

hi Richard - stunning birds, amazed they have survive and prospered??
    not sure if it's halos around the bird or clouds in the bg.
    like the pose and the wingspread - exposure looks good - I'm on a iPad so won't comment on Colour.
    will we be seeing more of these guys??

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lot of interesting questions here.
    Most interesting wing flight feathers, they must have very fine "hair" (?) because it looks so smooth, almost like plastic! What is the background, sky with soft clouds? At sunset, huh, and sky seems a little cyan to me. Wonder if AWB turned sky that way trying to "correct" for the (beautiful) orange bird?
    Tom

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the comments. First of all I used NIK Darken/Lighten Center on the image to bring focus on to the birds face. I went back and turned on and off the various layers and sure enough that was the cause. I'll try to mask out the sky to keep it even light. And i hadn't noticed, but the sky did take on a bit more cyan. I'll look at that too. Maybe a tad too much NR smoothed the wings. I reworked it a bit and brushed on NIK Effects. Thanks.......

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Richard, I like what you did in the repost to the sky but IMO hurt the bird. It now appears noisy and over sharpened.For my taste I liked the fluffy softness of the feathers in the original. Good placement and nice wingspread...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the original, repost is way too noisy and processed, but I agree that in the original feathers lack detail. Sometimes it is just easier to just do a simple RAW conversion and sharpen the final image for web, too many layers, filter and noise reduction and things get out of hand!
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Alfred Forns

Hi Richard Hope they will go on nesting there and raise little ones !! Will be a treat The PS looks funny and the re post does look over Photohoped !!

.... Lance ... looking from iPad ;) .. resistance is futile you will be assimilated !!! Love mine :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

enjoy the image not often seen for flying posture

Lance Peters

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred Forns View Post
    Hi Richard Hope they will go on nesting there and raise little ones !! Will be a treat The PS looks funny and the re post does look over Photohoped !!

.... Lance ... looking from iPad ;) .. resistance is futile you will be assimilated !!! Love mine :)
    Love mine too - cept cant find it - wife says she does not know where it is ;)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What an interesting looking bird and a great pose.

PP'n already mentioned and good advice given about over processing buy hard to follow.

Thanks for the story and looking forward to more of these.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

i'd freak out if i saw one of these flying around! really neat wing position. i favor the original also. hope you get more chances at these!!