Thread: Toucan Photo

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Toucan Photo

Took this photo at the Cincinnati Zoo inside. I know the head angle isn't perfect. What about cutting off the bottom of the body? This is the full frame no crop.

Pentax K100D, Canon FD 400mm lens (converted to m42 screw mount)
    ISO 1600, SS 1/320, don't know Fstop. No flash

Thanks for looking!

All CC welcome

Bob

Lance Peters

One awesome bird -Ohh to see one in the wild :)
    Id be tempted to crop tighter -as it is now the feet and tail just feel like they are clipped - Id crop in tighter to the face and that wonderful beak.
    Lighter the eye just a tad - well done for a Zoo!!

Ricardo Rodriguez

Hi Bob, fully agree with Lance. Dramatic cuts are good composition; slightly clipped parts are mistakes!

I suggest you repost a new image that emphasizes the wonderful beak. I would also blur the 3 leaves on top. Bottom line: IMO your image has a tremendous potential with the right composition.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bob, good suggestions above! I would also crop the bottom to just above the perch. This will take away the clipped look. Some people might like the leaves on top but I would prefer them out. Agree about the HA but it's not a critical shortcoming.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks guys!

Here is a tighter crop, had to do a custom crop as his beak is so wide. Also tried to lighten the eye but I still need to learn how to work with eyes.

Thanks

Bob

William Malacarne

Bob

I like your re-post a lot. I think the eye looks fine now but I would darken the area just above the end of his beak and also darken the shaft of the one feather on his wing at the bottom of the frame.

Bill

Alfred Forns

Good re post Bob !! The beak is the big deal in the picture and love to see it larger !!!

... for these is a tough call on aperture, open for blurring the bg but will have small dof !! ... will depend on how far the bg is from subject Will usually go for the shallow dof !!

Ricardo Rodriguez

Bob, great improvement on the repost. I almost always brighten the eyes, but in your repost I find the eye is fine. Congrats, and just keep practicing to improve; you will do so in no time!