Thread: Commorant Chase

bdossman

Default Commorant Chase

A double-crested cormorant being chased by 2 others while eating a small fish.
    Shot taken with Canon 40d and 70-300mm Sigma lens.

Im new to this and would love any feedback i can get.

Thanks

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi, Welcome to the forum! You caught a great moment here with behavior,action and interest. The one problem is it's taking place so far away. This would of been very dramatic if you had a longer lense.
    I might have recommended cropping this radically but you would lose way too much detail.
    Another factor to consider is lighting. This looks like it was taken around mid day when the light is harsh. Very difficult to get detail in the blacks with this light. Try and shoot early morning or late in the day when you have warmer light and also be aware of the light angle.
    For future images please note your camera settings besides lense and camera. It would be helpful for us to see how the image was taken...

bdossman

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I completely agree and will try to get out early in the day and see if I can catch more moments like these. A longer lens would also be a great investment. Thanks again for the suggestions

Bryant

Alfred Forns

Big Warm Welcome !!!

I like the advise given by Dave and fully agree !! When making these images with lots of forward movement keep in mind you will need (should) crop to a pano for accentuating forward movement !!! .. when you are ready for a longer glass might consider the Canon 400 5.6 Not a pricy lens and great performer !!! Looking forward to the next one !!

Lance Peters

Big warm welcome - Dont hesitate to jump right in and leave comments on other peoples images - all we ask is that you say what it is you like or dont like about the image - no better or faster way to learn.
    Dave nailed the critique - Arties Book would also be a good investment.
    Looking forward to seeing more :)

Ann Fiske

Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome, from another newbie. Love the action here, and it looks like the front bird has a good sized fish there. To bad about the distance. It's the bane of bird photography.

Good suggestions above.

It's a great shot to practice cropping technique on.
    Your post was small to work with, but I added some canvas to the left and then pano cropped. You could do better with the full sized image.
    Last edited by Ann Fiske; 05-29-2010 at 11:18 PM.

bdossman

yea i agree it definately needs to be blown up quite a bit, too bad that the detail isn't quite there. I think the pano works well but the background is kind of distracting? Just some thoughts

thanks for the tips!