Thread: Duck Pond Fun

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Duck Pond Fun

Attached Images Attached Images

Not an award winner but I like this shot as it looks like she is making eye contact with me. Is it better to get lower to the ground for this type of shot? The duck pond is about a foot lower than the bank so I was concerned about falling in. I am nervous around ponds, as a child I fell into one at a garden centre and now they freak me out :)

Techs...

Shooting Date/Time 16/05/2010 4:39:27 PM
    Camera Model Canon EOS 7D
    Lens EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM

Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/1250
    Av( Aperture Value ) 4.0
    ISO Speed 1250
    Focal Length 200.0mm
    Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
    Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
    AF Mode AI Servo AF

Thanks

Jamie
    Last edited by Jamie Douglas; 05-28-2010 at 01:00 AM.

Ricardo Rodriguez

Hi Jamie, your first objective should be not to fall in the pond. For us in Florida avoiding such a fall is a matter of life and death (think alligators!). Safety first!! It is most desirable to shoot at the level of the subject, but in practice this is sometimes hard or impossible to accomplish. I love the strong reflection of the head, and the ripples on the LRC. I suggest you darken the distracting big white spot above the duck, and clone out the dark spots in the URC. Some may find the center placement of the duck objectionable, but I have no problem with that. Good post!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

shooting angle is a matter of what you are trying to accomplish. if you had been down at water level here, you would have not gotten the nice reflection in the water. i think the reflection of the head is nice here. i might even sharpen the eye of the reflection:) the colors of the water are really nice. i might spend a little time cleaning up the few small white specs in the water. the dark line running from the upper left corner towards the bill is a little distracting too. easily rectified if you see fit. and i totally agree with you. i love the eye contact you are getting from the bird. that's what makes it for me!!

Alfred Forns

Great great comments !!! .. fully agree !!

With these types remember to alter your angle for showing the reflection, seems just fine the way you made it !! Would also think of leaving a little leeway for cropping after, the wake can be effective in the composition but tough to judge at the time of making

..... and last ...... falling in there should not worry you, there is no ice :) .. much worse than alligators, at least they sometimes are not hungry :D:)

Would try cropping a little of top and bottom to accentuate forward movement

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jamie,Beautiful reflected water with ample room in front of subject. I might crop the top to just below the bright circle. I don't mind the angle but a fill flash might have been in order due to the brightness of the duck's surroundings.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice image, IMO need to tone down a few hot spots in the BG and agree with Dave. A tad of flash might have helped fine detail and color. Love the water and mood.

Peter Farrell

Very nice, great reflection of the head. I agree about toning down the hot spots in the water.
    Peter

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all for the comments. Would the clone tool in CS be the best option for removing the distracting spots?

I was lucky to nail this shot, the duck was moving quickly out of the nicely lit water. I have a few not so good versions but my reactions didn't let me down this time. I am certainly very happy with the noise levels of the 7D.

In Florida I would certainly have one eye on the water in front of me but I guess up here my biggest concern should be not leaning in goose poop :)