Thread: Rhino Reflection

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Rhino Reflection

Attached Images Attached Images

Taken in the Sabi Sands, South Africa. I cropped some ugly mud off the bottom but in order to keep the full reflection the shoreline winds up in the middle of the image. Is there some other crop you would do to avoid this?

Canon 50D
    100-400 at 235mm
    Tv 1/500
    Av f7.1
    ISO 200

C&C welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,

Rachel

Alfred Forns

I like the crop Rachel Reflection strong that would be good keeping !! .. might just eliminate part of the reflection in the mud? Looks neat !!

I like the processing and did well with initial exposure .. did you have any full horizontals? No clue what is to the rear end of the rhino !! ... first rhino here in a long time, Thanks !!!:cool: ... btw only wonder why would you use Tv and the low ISO?

Lance Peters

HI Rachel - AL'S on the ball :)
    Exposure looks good - IMHO would be nice if the reflection was a little stronger- but sometimes you just gotta take what you are given.
    Guessing these guys dont respond to well to directions ;)
    Like it.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Al and Lance, glad you like it. Here's a horizontal image with the full rhino. Unfortunately, the rhino chose to get his drink right next to the only bush/tree on the waterhole.

Al - I've got plenty of rhino shots. On my trip last August we saw 15-20 different white rhinos. I've also got tighter shots of the rhino and reflection. Btw I was shooting on P not Tv. This was early on the afternoon game drive and the sun was still pretty harsh so I was concentrating more on exposure than anything else.

Thanks again,

Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ah yes, these are two different shots.
    I like the exposure better on the 2nd. Also, think I like the mouth in the water in the 2nd. But then again the horn reflection gets messed up by the branch in the 2nd. So I'm thinking I like the 1st better - after you you make the exposure and color look like the 2nd. And like AF says crop out the mud at bottom.
    Tom

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel, Looking at both images and trying to determine which image I like the best. I'm leaning towards the second which has more appealing lighting. It also shows more of the environment without cutting the log in the water.
    The reflection in the first was a bit weak so by seeing very little reflection in the second is not an issue IMO...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Tom and Dave - I actually prefer the second shot too but was trying to see if I could improve the first and cropped out some of the mud at the bottom. That left me with the issue of the water's edge being straight pretty much straight across the middle. So I wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas. I guess the other ideas are to stick with the horizontal version.

Thanks,

Rachel