Thread: Common Loon on Black

Brandon Holden

Default Common Loon on Black

Canon 10D, 100-400mm. 550ex w/BB... Handheld in Canoe.. 85% of Frame... ISO 400, 1/125, F 5.6

I created this image back in July of 2004... I wanted to post something that I hadn't put up on any other forum before. The sun had set about 20-25 minutes before I made this photo and my intention was to try to use the flash to create something "different" that showed the detailed patterns of white and black on the adult birds... this is what I ended up with.

Happy Shooting!

Brandon
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 01-03-2008 at 10:26 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

B, Getting the RED X only - bob

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

B, See it now! One thing I see that is distracting are the blue areas in the water. Maybe a little more black behind the Loon for a more pleasing comp. Oh, did I say I love it! Bob

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This one is close to being good; it is very graphic and the exposure is good. The tail is a bit too close to the frame edge and the head looks a bit soft. You might try some selective sharpening with a contrast mask: Unshapr Mask at 15/65/0 or thereabouts.

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Fabs Forns

Good advise from Maestro (strange, huh? ) and I like your idea, I'm sure you can atake it over the top with some more work.

Big welcome to BPN :)

(I get many hits from your web list, thanks)

Jody Melanson

Nice shootin' there Brandon. Good to try thinking out of the box. Nits mentioned also the white tip of his beak bothers me a bit.

Good to see you posting here, welcome aboard!

Jeff Nadler

Extreme contrast = a successful use of visual artistry