Thread: Oxalis renellii

Ed Vatza

Default Oxalis renellii

aka False Shamrock or Purple Shamrock. If you are not familiar with it, the leaves are very large, triangular and a purple/black color. The flowers, on the other hand, are very tiny and delicate.

Image made with my Rebel XT and Sigma 70mm Macro lens.

1.6 sec at f/22; ISO 200; EC 0; No Flash on this one.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting comp cutting off the top and side petals while it does not bother me some might find it distracting I like the rest of the comp with the dropping buds behind the open flower.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

Ed Vatza

Quote Originally Posted by Don Lacy View Post
    Interesting comp cutting off the top and side petals while it does not bother me some might find it distracting I like the rest of the comp with the dropping buds behind the open flower.
    Thanks Don. I was waiting for some feedback specifically related to the composition. This is the full image - resized but uncropped. I purposely made the composition with the top and side petals cut off slightly in order to anchor it to the those sides. I wanted the image to "pull" up and right.

Reason? When I have, in the past, carefully "centered" and fit the entire flower in the image, I have been open to a criticism of having the flower "too centered" so I wanted to try something a little different. I thought briefly of cropping a bit more from the top and right to maybe make it more obvious (like I said, the image is now uncropped) but then decided no, I like it the way it is?

Other opinions??

Robert O'Toole

I like the fact that you took a chance with the crop. Nice subject.
    For me giving the flower a lot more room or cropping in tighter would have been stronger and more purposeful. Also the greens and purples look a little on the light side and not very saturated, a quick Curves treatment and PS would really help.

Robert

Mike Moats

Hey Ed, I like your idea of cropping more off the top. I would crop down to just above the flowers center.

Ed Vatza

Thanks Robert. Thanks Mike. I have several images that I made that are pretty much the tighter crop that you refer to. However, I decided to take this image and crop it a bit in Lightroom and bring it back. Let me know if you like this crop better.