Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gitzo Tripod Sham

Roman Kurywczak

Default Gitzo Tripod Sham

As many of you are aware there have been some issues with Gitzo tripods and the leg locks over the years. Well....mine finally froze up I brought it to Manfrotto for repair (they are 45 minutes away from me) and the mailed me my estimate: "Repair cost exceeds unit Value" of my G1348 tripod that I purchased for around $500 ....they are offering me the privelidge to buy a new Gitzo tripod (GT1341LS) for $600......bargain off the listed price.....but my tripod was just 6 years old. John the manager at Bogen Imaing Service said that the legs are frozen because of "salt water and sand". I checked all the literature from my original box and nowhere did it say to take the tripod apart every time you place it into salt water.....as a matter of fact.....Gitzos flash intro shows their tripod in the water and nowhere on the site do you see it say "take it apart immediately and clean". I do realize that this has been debated for a while over the years but my question is: Why the **** would I shell out $600 for another Gitzo tripod when 2 years down the road they can offer me another tripod purchase....for $800 maybe...because my repair exceeds the tripod value. Are they telling me it actually isn't worth it? Are there alternatives? Any lawyers want to chime in about this?
    I leave you with this thought....imagine buying a brand new car....6 years later the manufacturer says it can't fix your car that you paid $25,000......but will now offer you a new car for $35,000....because you drove it in the rain which their commercial shows.......would we stand for it?
    I'm sure this has happened to many of you....did you just accept it?
    PS A woman I met while on tour in Utah had a Gitzo ball head that locked up.....is quality control a piece of dog droppings at Gitzo?
    Last edited by Roman Kurywczak; 05-20-2010 at 06:58 PM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

maybe I am missing something buy your talking about Manfrotto but reference gitzo tripod models?

Roman Kurywczak

all under same umbrella now...but changed it all to Gitzo. I can't change title.....will PM James....man he's fast...all fixed!

Here's the fancy flash promo on the website: http://www.gitzo.com/cms/site/gitzo/cache/off

.....still haven't found the salt water and sand may fuse your tripod note!
    Last edited by Roman Kurywczak; 05-20-2010 at 06:59 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's unfortunate Roman. Replacement bushings for the Gitzos are available for about $50-60 per set so if I were you and you were so inclined, I'd repair on my own with a fresh set (note that the 6x Gitzos use a different and simpler bushing). The challenge maybe be to free up the legs so they can be removed. Gentle heat from a hair drier works wonders, and you may have to use a freshwater soak to soften up the salt and corrosion (although this may swell the bushings further).

Artie did a Gitzo tripod maintenance article back in 2005:

http://www.birdsasart.com/bn168.htm

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

ah didnt know that it was ever under that, that seems like a load of BS to me and I would try Johns suggestion

Roman Kurywczak

There's the rub John.....they say they don't have any more of the D001-JS3 parts.....back order......but the guy also said that my legs were fused from salt water and sand......when I said are you kidding?....not the bushing?....he said no, sand and salt water.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am a little confused about the manfrotto gitzo thing but I have a Gitzo. It sounds like you bought a Manfrotto and perhaps Gitzo has now bought Manfrotto.

Mine is about two years old and included in the warranty package is some general info. One note says "Dry and clean the product after use in wet/sand/dusty environments. Not recommended for use in sea water.

Every once in a while I will wash mine off especially if I have been out for a few days in some salt water. I do this based on a comment by Alfred a while back about salt water and corrosion of tripods.

But if you have gone six years without cleaning your tripod I think you have done pretty well ' cause I imagine your tripod is well used.

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Dave,
    I originally had Manfrotto in the title.....but it is a Gitzo so I had James change the typo. Both companies are now consolidated and repaired here in Northern NJ. I did clen it in regualr water and dry it.....but never took it apart. In my model it had fiber bushings and no warning BTW.....since changed to plastic of some kind. My gripe is.....don't call it a lifetime pro model....at that price and then tell me I can't put it into salt water occasionally! Actually in salt water is only about 1/100 of my use over the years. Plenty of fresh water dunkings:D. I have an aluminum one about twice as old.....lever locks.....just giving an FYI to when considering plunking down the $$$ for the carbon fiber!

Lance Peters

Hi Roman - thanks for the info - going to be taking mine apart and cleaning tonight.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yikes! Thanks Roman. I had not realized you had been washing it off. Sounds like I need to do a bit more on mine.

I was wondering if soaking it over night in a bathtub would dissolve the salt/sand but see John mentioned that and parts are not available.

I suppose with no parts if you can't break it free it makes no sense to cut at the joints for at least a shorter back-up.

Dave

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I had a 1540 and a leg got stuck. Even a machine shop in town could not remove it. The repair quote was about $50 less than the price of a new one. I did buy another gitzo and have had good luck with it.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Those plastic condoms for each tripod leg must be the answer for use in the water, no?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

When I am in salt water, I use the drypod (tripod condoms). I recently had one leak, only a few inches of water got in, but I disassembled that leg as soon as I got home that day. I have done it before, took about 15 minutes to remove all the segments (3540), wash out with fresh water, swab out with cloth, dry with hair dryer and reassemble. It helps to have had some practice:p

I had heard too many horror stories of dead Gitzo's from salt water.

Yes, a nuisance, but it has worked well so far. I am not sure any tripod will stand up to repeated salt water exposure without problems. Between corrosion and sand, its a nasty environment.

Cheers

Randy

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Didn't it occur to you that saltwater is incredibly corrosive? Seems like common sense to me to clean any metal product exposed to saltwater immediately after use. Even items specifically made to use in saltwater (e.g. fishing reels) should be rinsed in freshwater as soon as possible after use.

FWIW, most lifetime warranties cover materials and workmanship only. I don't think your problem falls under either heading.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Leroy View Post
    Yikes! Thanks Roman. I had not realized you had been washing it off. Sounds like I need to do a bit more on mine.

I was wondering if soaking it over night in a bathtub would dissolve the salt/sand but see John mentioned that and parts are not available.

I suppose with no parts if you can't break it free it makes no sense to cut at the joints for at least a shorter back-up.

Dave
    Water will not dissolve sand. It would have to be wiped or blown off.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Stout View Post
    When I am in salt water, I use the drypod (tripod condoms). I recently had one leak, only a few inches of water got in, but I disassembled that leg as soon as I got home that day. I have done it before, took about 15 minutes to remove all the segments (3540), wash out with fresh water, swab out with cloth, dry with hair dryer and reassemble. It helps to have had some practice:p

I had heard too many horror stories of dead Gitzo's from salt water.

Yes, a nuisance, but it has worked well so far. I am not sure any tripod will stand up to repeated salt water exposure without problems. Between corrosion and sand, its a nasty environment.

Cheers

Randy
    ANY brand of metal tripod will deteriorate if it's exposed to saltwater and sand and isn't properly cleaned, rinsed and dried.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Doug its CF not aluminum, I looked at their warranty and nowhere does it say not to put it in water let alone salt water so I dont see how they can say its not covered under warranty.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

My mistake. CF is still fairly new on the market so I don't know what the long term effects of saltwater are. However the comment about sand still holds true. I also think there is a common misconception that CF is bullet proof. It's not. It will scratch and crack.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Those plastic condoms for each tripod leg must be the answer for use in the water, no?
    John, my Gitzo legs extends to almost 6ft, which Drug store sells those? :D

Steve :eek::eek::eek:
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Van Hilliard

Roman,
    I sympathize with you entirely. I have parts of five different Gitzo tripods lying around. I refuse to add up what they cost me. All of mine were "abused", that is, they were used in salt water. No amount of cleaning kept them functional. Two of them broke where the upper joint fused with the head. The head itself broke on one and the leg separated on the other. I swore I wouldn't get another Gitzo but it turns out I was lying. I'm now the proud, and nervous, owner of a sixth Gitzo.
    Van

Roman Kurywczak

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Campbell View Post
    My mistake. CF is still fairly new on the market so I don't know what the long term effects of saltwater are. However the comment about sand still holds true. I also think there is a common misconception that CF is bullet proof. It's not. It will scratch and crack.
    Hey Doug,
    I have an aluminum tripod....almost 3 times as old as the carbon fiber one......rinsed with fresh water and dried. did have to replace 1 leg lock ($3) by myself......my point still is: the parts cost $60.....only one leg is "frozen".....even if you replace the 1 leg entirely......is that repair worth more than the value of the tripod in your opinion?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That is why I have switched to Feisol carbon fiber tripods. Why reward Gitzo for being overpriced and for the most part non responsive to their customers.

Alfred Forns

Hi Roman During one workshop we had three fail !! All had one of the legs broken, corroded. Sent it in and was told the same thing.

Not sure what can be done about it but I was upset !!! btw since then I had another fail and had the same response .. both had been on salt water ... always try rinsing with water and take them apart ( couple times a year) for maintenance.

Christopher C.M. Cooke

I have had my 3541XLS for two months and have pulled it apart 3 times already to clean it after salt water use, just seems to make good sense to me, I wash or clean all my fishing and hunting gear as well whenever it has been even NEAR salt water.

Good habit to get into.

Spraying the metal bits with WD40 also helps.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A 2000.00 salt water reel will not last two years if not properly rinse down after every day of use and completely torn apart and clean at least a couple of times a year salt water is that corrosive to equipment. With that said I have reels that are over ten years old and I use the same cleaning routine with my tripod that I would with my fishing gear. After a day in salt water or just a day at the beach I will rinse of my tripod with a GENTLE stream of fresh water for a few minutes then use a towel to dry it off I will then spray it down with WD 40 if I plan on using it the next day in the same conditions. If I do not plan on using it for a while or I will be shooting away from the ocean I will follow the same routine and the following day completely tear the tripod down and clean the inside of the legs and bushings with fresh water dry them and again coat everything with WD 40 this has to be done every time if you skip it just once you will shorten the life of the tripod. Even with following this routine I know that sooner or latter the metal casting that hold the legs will fail from corrosion and i except that fact as part of shooting in a marine environment.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

Roman Kurywczak

Thanks all....Christopher and Don.....I'm not sure you are aware.....but as Christopher mentions the 3541xls....I know he has a CF tripod. You'd better be careful with that WD40......will kill carbon fiber! Don't believe me??? ....ask them yourself!!!...I think you just voided any warranty you had.

BTW.....if you bought an expensive car....most expensive on the market.....would you expect to buy a new car just because the engine went? No....then why are you accepting that answer from Gitzo? I never said I wanted another tripod!!! I want them to repair mine at a fair price!!!
    Seems to me that Gitzo is relying on its former reputation......I don't need a show car.....I want one that I can take out of the box and actually use.....after all....they claim it is a lifetime tripod!
    PS Christopher....if I followed you recommendation of cleaning every time I was near salt water....I would never be able to actually photograph as I live within 6 miles of a bay.......my whole point is that for that price....should it be so high maintenance?
    Last edited by Roman Kurywczak; 05-21-2010 at 07:36 PM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

As a visitor to Florida 2-3 times per year, i was always amazed at the folks who had Gitzo tripods in the salt water flats. Having read the warnings from Gitzo - i refrained.

This past winter i got the drypods that are available for sale at Artie's web-site.

https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=87

Worked very well and kept the Gitzo tripod legs completely dry. For $27, why take the chance, or have the hazzle of trying to clean your tripod legs???
    Last edited by Peter Hawrylyshyn; 05-21-2010 at 07:49 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

All this reminds me of the time not so long ago that I received my (first) Gitzo Systematic 3531 and realised instantly that the top plate holding the head can't possibly be securely attached to the legs as engineered (it's just secured in place with a pinch bolt). I remembered a BPN thread on these top plates coming loose and the camera/lens combo falling to the ground. Naively I called the US Gitzo/Manfrotto depot about this and was told that "you just have to be careful and make sure the pinch bolt is tight and that you support the lens as it is over your shoulder". What I find remarkable is that Gitzo seem to have gone to great lengths to make sure the head is securely attached to the top plate with their "safe-lock" material on the the top plate and a grub screw up into the bottom of the head but they have completely ignored the issue of the top plate coming loose from the legs.

Anyway I have made my own securement so that the top plate does not come off (see attached image).

This is all to say that IMO Gitzo make excellent products but they seem to have their heads buried in the sand when it comes to some engineering issues.
    Last edited by John Chardine; 05-21-2010 at 07:55 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I totally agree Peter. I would not risk my current investment in a Gitzo tripod (which was the price of a nice lens) without some protection from water, salt or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Hawrylyshyn View Post
    As a visitor to Florida 2-3 times per year, i was always amazed at the folks who had Gitzo tripods in the salt water flats. Having read the warnings from Gitzo - i refrained.

This past winter i got the drypods that are available for sale at Artie's web-site.

Worked very well and kept the Gitzo tripod legs completely dry. For $27, why take the chance, or have the hassle of trying to clean your tripod legs???

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You'd better be careful with that WD40......will kill carbon fiber! Don't believe me??? ....ask them yourself!!
    Hi Roman, I did a search on WD 40 and carbon fiber on Google and did not find anything that states WD 40 would harm Carbon Fiber most of what I found recommends using WD 40 to clean the frames of carbon fiber bikes which I assume are even more expensive then CF tripods do you have a link to any information on WD 40 damaging CF. I know that Really Right Stuff recommends that you wipe the ball of their heads with a light coat of WD 40 as part of it maintenance.
    my whole point is that for that price....should it be so high maintenance?
    Yes, when I used to fish I would spend 12 hours on the water get back to the dock spend another hour or two cleaning down the boat drive home and rinse down all my rods and reels so the answer is no matter how much something cost saltwater and spray will destroy it if not properly clean every time it is exposed to it.
    if I followed you recommendation of cleaning every time I was near salt water....I would never be able to actually photograph as I live within 6 miles of a bay
    Try a hundred yards from a salt water estuary and a mile from the Ocean:) I can not leave anything made of metal outside.
    Don Lacy
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams

Roman Kurywczak

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Hawrylyshyn View Post

Worked very well and kept the Gitzo tripod legs completely dry. For $27, why take the chance, or have the hazzle of trying to clean your tripod legs???
    Hey Peter,
    obviously you didn't see the comment on the drypods leaking. BTW.....where did you see the warnings from Gitzo? I have seen it on other forums and sites.....but none from Gitzo. For the record, I have a correspondence right now with Gitzo asking about this very issue.....since I don't want to jump the gun I will wait till Tuesday for a reply.

I will repaet my question......if you buy a supposed top of the line product, do you expect that it will need to be pampered? I personally don't think that the most expensive tripod on the market needs aftermarket condoms to work!!! Why are we paying the price? Why are photographers accepting this? If you took your car out every day.....and needed to take it apart or change the oil every day......would you buy that car? Someone please give me a specific answer because I have a billion products we use....every day, that don't require this much pampering but yet we accept this from a tripod! What is wrong with this picture?

Since John mentioned the plate and possibly your lens falling off....where the heck is the warning from Gitzo? I have seen a pattern with this over the years and wonder why we photographers have accepted this? Is it as simple as Budweiser (sucks IMO)marketing? Is the photographic community (including myself) part of the problem
    as we have long accepted this?

In good conscience I can't recommend to a photographer to spend that kind of money on a tripod until I get some of these answers!

Roman Kurywczak

Sorry Don, you must of been typing when I posted....will find you the info.
    PS I will ask them directly!
    Last edited by Roman Kurywczak; 05-21-2010 at 08:20 PM.

Christopher C.M. Cooke

Default Roman

As regards CF, I race both Classic and modern Superbikes and am VERY familiar with Carbon Fibre and WD40.

If you read my post you will notice that I referred to the "metal" parts and not the CF legs and fastenings.

I have and use the best big game Fishing Reels and spend as much time servicing and maintaining them them as using them and they have never let me down.

I both Target and Hunt with some of the finest rifles in the world and lavish hours every week on these works of art.

I cannot understand how folk who buy expensive Tripods and cameras expect these items to simply be immersed or exposed to one of the harshest environments and not expect them to fail if not cared for.

Just my take on the matter and not a dig at you.:)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

I've been asked to go through the making of the safety piece to make sure the Gitzo top plate on the Systematic tripods stays attached to the tripod (see post 28 above).

It is not too difficult to make something that will work. I have a series 3 Systematic Gitzo so the dimensions are for that one- the tripod tops where the legs attach are different at least for series 3 and series 4/5.

I wanted to make something that was as light as possible so used aluminum. Aluminum doesn't bend very well but thinner stock does so I searched around my scrap box and found a piece of an aluminum 1 metre/yard ruler I had bought at a building supply place. The ruler is 1/16" thick x 1 1/4" wide, and they come cheap! This thickness seems to be strong enough to do the job but still bendable. For the series 3 I cut a piece of the ruler 3 1/4" long. I then gently bent the ends in a vice and with a pair of heavy pliers so that the piece fits down inside the top part of the tripod and touches the central boss into which the hook screws. I filed the ends to smooth and added some sticky-backed felt so that the piece does not mar the tripod finish and so that the hook stays tight. The hole in the middle is 3/8" to accept the hook screw which fits it all together.

You can buy nicely machined and stamped aluminum safety plates for Gitzos these days but they are expensive ($70; I know, Gitzos are expensive but why add insult to injury?!) and it doesn't allow the fitment of the hook, which has a fairly short threaded screw. If you did not want to fit the hook, then all the bending I mention above can be avoided. Just cut a piece of the aluminum ruler about 3" long. Drill a 3/8" hole in the middle and fit with a 3/8" UNC hex stainless screw 3/4" long and enough backing washers to fill the 1/4" gap between the safety piece and the boss that accepts the tripod hook.
    Last edited by John Chardine; 05-22-2010 at 05:53 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gitzo has a tripod designed to better cope with salt water, as its components and the design are more tolerant of immersion.

Check out the Ocean Traveler here: http://www.gitzo.com/cms/site/gitzo/sl_ocean

I heartily endorse Chris Cooke's comments above. :)
    Bill Jobes

www.billjobes.com

My BPN Gallery

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Lens ™

Roman Kurywczak

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher C.M. Cooke View Post
    ........I have and use the best big game Fishing Reels and spend as much time servicing and maintaining them them as using them and they have never let me down.
    That's my point Christopher.....I personally don't want to sevice my tripod as much as I use it especially the most expensive one on the market. Did you miss the point where I said that I have an aluminum tripod, used in the same conditions, that is twice as old as the CF one......all I have had to do with it after rinsing and drying is change a leg lock.
    I both Target and Hunt with some of the finest rifles in the world and lavish hours every week on these works of art.
    Are you comparing a rifle, which has an explosion in it's chamber when it is fired, and is subjected to tremendous amounts of force to opening and using a tripod? I did say I rinsed and dried it after immersion in salt water

I cannot understand how folk who buy expensive Tripods and cameras expect these items to simply be immersed or exposed to one of the harshest environments and not expect them to fail if not cared for.

Your camera gives you specific warnings on how it can fail. Gitzo does not state in its brochures to completely take apart the tripod when immersed in salt water. If it had that information up front, I think many people would reconsider purchasing that tripod or opt for a less expensive model given the maintenance. I do not understand why you do not adress specific questions I have asked except put information about your cleaning of motorbikes and rifles so I will ask you directly;

1. Is, in your opinion, WD40 safe for CF?

2. Do you think Gitzo has an obligation to give people a warning on the leg locks and the effects of salt water as well as the potential for the lens falling off the top plate?

3. Do you think that the amount of maintenance on the tripod is worth it, given the cost?

4. Would you buy a product or recommend it to others if after 4 years you could no longer get part or it was deemed unrepairable?

I am trying to give people, mostly those considering upgrades some ideas for what is in store for them if they do decide to go to these models so they can make their own informed choice.

As much as I like good debates,......you seem to be avoiding the questions;).
    PS John, I think your idea will be helpful to many people....I wish Gitzo had thought of being as thoughtful as you!
    PPS I was typing while you were Bill....feel free to answer the above questions also.

Roman Kurywczak

Bill, you just gave a link for a $1,300 tripod (not yet readily available but on sale for $1,200) that supports 8.8 lbs. Won't hold any big glass. Hope you are short too as it is only just 48" tall w/o the center columnn extended!
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...specifications
    Last edited by Roman Kurywczak; 05-22-2010 at 08:28 AM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Roman
    I had read that the Drypods can leak - the instructions that come with the packaging warn you about this and you also get some extra Drypods as possible replacements. Using them is not rocket science - if you see one starting to leak, just go back on shore and replace it. At most , the bottom 1-2" of the tripod leg might have been exposed to salt water - - this is totally different that putting the entire tripod into salt water for several hours.

As for where i read the warnings - I searched and found my original Gitzo Guarantee and Maintenance pamphlet - it clear states "Dry and/or clean the product after use in wet/sandy/dusty enviroments. Not recommended for use in sea water"
    Last edited by Peter Hawrylyshyn; 05-22-2010 at 11:54 AM.

bob arkow

Hi Roman:

Just to add to the issue. I just read the guarantee and maintenance manual that came with my CFGT3531s. It states not recommended for use in sea water. Clean with mild detergent and a soft cloth. Remove dust and sand from all locking threads and slides. "...does not requiire regular lubrication but if required use standard lubricant oils or grease." The tripod came with a small tube of grease - Molycompx. Not sure what standard lubrication is.

My tripod is used at the beach every week (Nickerson) and I hose it off ofter returning from the beach. No problems so far!

Not sure if standard lubrication oils includes WD-40.

Bob

PS - Oystercatchers have chicks and terns are mating at Nick.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gosh..... Makes my poor old Bogen/Manfrotto 3021 look real good. I have been using it for years in and around salt/fresh water and all I ever do is rinse it off and dry it.. So far, no problems.. Me thinks I'll stick with it..

Dave

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Peter and Bob,
    That's good to know that they give a warning and don't recommend to put it in sea water. I looked at my original stuff....6 years old....no mention so at least that is progress! I wonder how many people don't know about that?!!!

I did also use my aluminum tripod on my last tour recently and Like Dave S., I think I will just use it for now.....besides.... I have extra leg locks for it.

PS Thanks Bob for the update!

Christopher C.M. Cooke

Originally Posted by Christopher C.M. Cooke
    ........I have and use the best big game Fishing Reels and spend as much time servicing and maintaining them them as using them and they have never let me down.
    That's my point Christopher.....I personally don't want to sevice my tripod as much as I use it especially the most expensive one on the market. Did you miss the point where I said that I have an aluminum tripod, used in the same conditions, that is twice as old as the CF one......all I have had to do with it after rinsing and drying is change a leg lock.
    Are you comparing a rifle, which has an explosion in it's chamber when it is fired, and is subjected to tremendous amounts of force to opening and using a tripod? I did say I rinsed and dried it after immersion in salt water

Your camera gives you specific warnings on how it can fail. Gitzo does not state in its brochures to completely take apart the tripod when immersed in salt water. If it had that information up front, I think many people would reconsider purchasing that tripod or opt for a less expensive model given the maintenance. I do not understand why you do not adress specific questions I have asked except put information about your cleaning of motorbikes and rifles so I will ask you directly;

1. Is, in your opinion, WD40 safe for CF?

2. Do you think Gitzo has an obligation to give people a warning on the leg locks and the effects of salt water as well as the potential for the lens falling off the top plate?

3. Do you think that the amount of maintenance on the tripod is worth it, given the cost?

4. Would you buy a product or recommend it to others if after 4 years you could no longer get part or it was deemed unrepairable?

I am trying to give people, mostly those considering upgrades some ideas for what is in store for them if they do decide to go to these models so they can make their own informed choice.

As much as I like good debates,......you seem to be avoiding the questions;).
    Roman, if you don’t want to spend the time servicing and maintaining your equipment as I do, feel free to take your chances with it, your decision not mine.

As regards Rifles I use WD40 on the “Blued” metal of them to prevent surface rust when they are in my Gun Vault and nothing to do with the breech mechanism which gets tender care with some very specialized products indeed.

As regards manuals and brochures, I find they last longer if never taken out of their sealed plastic bags and instead tend to rely on the intuition of some three score or more years and the modicum of commonsense acquired during them, to look after my equipment.

I happily put my trust in God but not the false promises, instruction manuals and warranties provided by his Companies on Earth for these are sent to lead us into mayhem and madness.

Is WD safe on CF? I don’t know as I only use it on the metal hinges and even then I “Paint” it on and not spray it with gay abandon, on my screw fasteners I use Loctite to avoid them going MIA.

Do I think the amount of maintenance lavished on the tripod is worth it? I can only answer for myself yes.

Would I buy a product or recommend it if after 4 years I could not get parts for it? I own 9 Canon Cameras, 4 Nikon Cameras (albeit old Nikons) so I think that is a moot point.

If I ever recommend any product to anyone it is solely on my experience with that product and not an endorsement of the manufacturer’s specifications warnings or not.

I hope this answers your questions Roman.

PS I use heavy duty plastic garden garbage bags on my tripod legs in seawater held on with rubber bands and gaffer tape and so far not one tiny bit of tripod CF has ever gotten wet.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Kurywczak View Post
    Sorry Don, you must of been typing when I posted....will find you the info.
    PS I will ask them directly!
    Have searched the internet and while I can not find anything that specifically states that WD40 will harm carbon fiber the official WD40 website does state the following
    What surfaces or materials are OK to use WD-40 on?
    WD-40 can be used on just about everything. It is safe for metal, rubber, wood and plastic. WD-40 can be applied to painted metal surfaces without harming the paint. Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40
    To the best of my research carbon fiber is made from graphite http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_fiber and Gitzo claims the new 6X tripods are made from 100% CF and not a CF blend http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_...forced_plastic which might be damage from WD40.
    Would be interested if anyone has any other information on this but I am with Christopher on the importance of cleaning and maintaining one's gear after use in the field from tripod to my camera and lens if it was near salt water it gets thoroughly clean before it is put away for the night.
    Don Lacy

Threads
    Thank You Posts

How do Feisol tripods compare with regard to the base plate attachment/security? I was looking at a Gitzo 3530, but now have hesitation after reading through this and other sources. The Feisol I'd be interested in is the CT-3372. Thanks!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Pugsley View Post
    How do Feisol tripods compare with regard to the base plate attachment/security? I was looking at a Gitzo 3530, but now have hesitation after reading through this and other sources. The Feisol I'd be interested in is the CT-3372. Thanks!
    David- The vast majority of people who own a Systematic series Gitzo do not experience any problem with the top plate coming loose. I just wanted to ensure that mine never did. I've seen smaller Feisols and they do not have a removeable top plate- neither do the other types of Gitzos as far as I know.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The Feisol 3371/3471 & 3372/3472 have removable top plates (other models as well) because they can be swapped out for a leveling base, they are held in with 3 bolts, I have had the 3471 & now have the 3472. The 3371 has a casted head and the 3372 is CNC'd.

I would be amazed if the feisol had this problem because their design is totally different and it seems to be rock solid.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the input John and Jamie.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Strickland View Post
    The Feisol 3371/3471 & 3372/3472 have removable top plates (other models as well) because they can be swapped out for a leveling base, they are held in with 3 bolts, I have had the 3471 & now have the 3472. The 3371 has a casted head and the 3372 is CNC'd.

I would be amazed if the feisol had this problem because their design is totally different and it seems to be rock solid.
    Totally agree!!! Again why pay premium prices for a name! Then have to add something to it.:confused::confused:

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Roman,

you might investigate tripods for land surveying, I know many are made of wood and fiberglass. They, of course, have some metal components but perhaps the maintenance issue would be more favorable with these materials

Joel

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

yes but in all honesty I had some big problems with my 3471, the casted leg lock portion broke on one of the legs! so they are by no means perfect either, apparently some of the 3371/3471's had this issue, the 3372/3472 though is really nice

back to the original point though why cant they just replace the one leg top portion? or even the whole leg, I dont understand why there needs to a whole new tripod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast