Thread: Eastern Sierra HDR

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Eastern Sierra HDR

Attached Images Attached Images

This is an 5 image HDR captured early in the morning of the Eastern side of the Sierra Nevada. HDR generated with Photomatix, PP'ed and sharpened in CS3. C&C welcome.

Camera Model: NIKON D200, tripod mounted
    Shutter speed: 1/40 sec to 1/640 sec in 5 stops
    Aperture: 11
    Exposure mode: Manual
    Flash: Off
    Metering mode: Multi-segment
    ISO: 100
    Lens: 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6D
    Focal length: 120mm
    Focal length: 180mm (in 35mm film)
    AF mode: MANUAL

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Things that really attract me to this image; the lifting clouds (or snow drift?) from the top of the mountains; the glimpse of the winding road, barely seen; the roiling clouds in the background and the detail in the foreground.

I do feel that the sky, as a whole, could have more intensity to it, it looks a little washed out but that could be the reality of these skies, and I would like to have seen more contrast where the sun strikes the foreground on those couple of ridges. It almost isn't very noticeable, whereas I think if it were made more obvious it would add character to the image.

A very beautiful scene, nonetheless.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan, Nice light and well divided compositionally. The flowing clouds give alot of interest to the image and almost look like a continuation of the mountains. The road is a line taking you to the mountain but I would have liked to have seen more of it or none at all.
    A potential crop could be right above your name...just an option...

Robert Amoruso

Great Depth of Field Dan. I like the FG as it is elevated, sharp and kind of "steps off" into the valley and up again to the mountains. I agree the road is too little to act as a leading line in such a grand image. I would remove it.

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Dan,
    Interesting observations above. I really like Dave's idea of more of a pano with the bottom crop...and before road eviction.....you may try lightening/boosting some more contrast to FG as per Hilary's suggestions.....may work to give it more impact and not make road eviction necessary! Overall, still a very nice comp and I do like the blend as presented.....these minor tweaks may not work for you....but worth a shot just for comparison!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Dan, This is a fantastic image. I love the snow covered mountains and the clouds sweeping across. I agree w/ a crop off the bottom. Very beautiful.:)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks all for the great comments! I will play with the image with the suggestions in mind.