Thread: Tips for Etosha?

Michael Rosenbaum

Default Tips for Etosha?

I will be self-driving at Etosha the first couple of weeks in June. I will be at 3 of the camps for about 5 days apiece. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Sounds like a fantastic opportunity, Michael. Etosha is my favourite game reserve in Southern Africa but I haven't had teh opportunity to visit for too long. In the time you have you should be able to get to know it quite well and have some fantastic imaging opportunities. Etosha is different in that the game is often very visible as there is not as much vegetation as at bushveld reserves like Kruger. You are obviously restricted to working from your car except in camps so a bean bag is a good option. My 200-400 zoom would probably be my most used lens but I would have a 500 + TC for the birds and wider angles for landscape images. I last was there many years ago and Okaukuejo camp is on a water hole and was lit at night which made for great opportunities - even better now with clean high ISO bodies. I'm sure you will have a great time and collect some treasured images.
    Tony Whitehead
    Visit my blog at WildLight Photography for latest news and images.

Ken Watkins

Michael,

Etosha is one of the truly great Game Parks, although it is far from exclusive.
    I presume you will be staying inside the park at Okaukuejo, Halali and Namutoni

We always get up early get out of the gate as soon as you are allowed (sunrise), and stay out all day, parking up at any of the waterholes when it gets hot, do not forget plenty of water.

The possibilities are endless but I would suggest a daily trip around the waterholes in your area.

There should be plenty of plains game including relative rarities such as Black-Faced Impalla.

If you do not see Lion I will be very surprised, chances for Cheetah and Leopard are quite remote, we have only seen 2 Cheetah and 1 Leopard in 6 visits. Birding is not stupendous, but you will certainly see lots of Pale Chanting Goshawk, Kori Bustards and Korhaans.

At Okaukuejo you have what is in my opinion the greatest waterhole in the world, you may have some late nights.

Have a great trip, if you need more detailed information please send me a PM.

Michael Rosenbaum

Thanks very much, Tony and Ken. I am en route (now at Heathrow). A mentor said that it was his favorite park. I am taking 100-400 plus a 500 and 2- 1.4x. I've got a Mark III and IV, so hopefully.... I was in Kruger for a week in October 2008 and the b/g's were a bit busy...open terrain sounds great.
    Last edited by Michael Rosenbaum; 06-01-2010 at 06:21 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

All the best for a great trip, Michael. Looking forward to some great images. Sounds like you're well equipped.
    Tony Whitehead
    Visit my blog at WildLight Photography for latest news and images.

Ken Watkins

Michael,

Have a great trip, get a map and find out which if any of the waterholes are dry.I hope you have a wide angle for some scenic stuff. Whilst a lot is more open, beware of the harsh light (caused by the white ground).

Let us know how you got on.