Thread: Tern photomerge

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tern photomerge

Attached Images Attached Images

This is an Elegant Tern in the act of drinking I think? 4 image merge using CS3's photomerge automation set to reposition only and blending unchecked. I erased the neccessary areas from each layer, flattened, cropped, sharpened and nr with Noiseware Pro.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Very cool action created! I like the way you have 4 different poses and the way the slight reflection adds some reality. I do wish the birds were a tiny bit more spread out and that the wings weren't clipped at the ends-but this is very nice work and I do wish it were mine:)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree with Denise here regarding spacing of the birds and the wing clip, but the image attracted me immediately just from the thumbnail, and I like the graphics in it. I think your effort paid off.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice image and application, Dan.

Like the series movement across the frame.

I can live with the spacing, as it appears natural to the actions shown. The drinking at the start of the ripples and the lifting of the head at the end and the other two image as well. Very nice.

I might like the wing tips in the frame, but if this were shot on one frame it wouldn't be possible! ;) So I feel it is acceptable as you show it. Now a 36"x54" framed piece would look great on the wall! ;) :D

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great action captured, and nice job with the merge, Dan. I like the lines created by the overlapping wings. I might crop some from the top and clone some of the lines in the water.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A bit more space would be nice but this is a fantastic image showing great vision and execution. The second and third frames are my favorites. I am with Cindy on getting rid of the lines at the top.

What camera and lens?
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A second look (is is worth multiple viewings) reveals that it likely needs a healthy CCW rotation (based on the lines at the top).
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks all for the great suggestions! In the repost, I included the wing tips, rotated about 2 degrees and attempted to blur the lines at the top and bottom.

Camera Model: NIKON D300, handheld
    Shutter speed: 1/1500 sec
    Aperture: 8
    Exposure mode: Manual
    Flash: Off
    Metering mode: Multi-segment
    ISO: 800
    Lens: VR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D
    Focal length: 400mm
    Focal length: 600mm (in 35mm film)
    AF mode: AF-C

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice, Dan. Excellent poses and action, and they flow together so nicely. The repost looks perfect.
    God Bless
    Christopher, Old Photo Master and Master Texturizer

Old Memories Photography

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The repost has way, way more impact. Last version would be a pano with more space between the birds. Where?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks again guys! Artie, this was captured at the mouth of the Tijuana River, San Diego co, CA one month ago. Both the Elegant and Royal Terns were skimming to drink repeatedly. The water was probably very salty as the tide was coming in and the river was actually flowing backwards!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Dan, The repost looks much better. The soft color palette is very soothing.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Brown View Post
    Thanks again guys! Artie, this was captured at the mouth of the Tijuana River, San Diego co, CA one month ago. Both the Elegant and Royal Terns were skimming to drink repeatedly. The water was probably very salty as the tide was coming in and the river was actually flowing backwards!
    Ah, Imperial Beach. May I assume that you walked down the beach because the whole creek area is still closed????

Lord, in the mid-80s there was no closed area there. If only I had digital and a long lens then.... Another great place down the tubes for nature photography.

Afternoon?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Ah, Imperial Beach. May I assume that you walked down the beach because the whole creek area is still closed????

Lord, in the mid-80s there was no closed area there. If only I had digital and a long lens then.... Another great place down the tubes for nature photography.

Afternoon?
    Yes, Artie the whole area is closed but you can walk down the the mouth. I sat at the edge of the river next to the closure rope in the late afternoon/evening. Lots of action with the terns flying in and out with and without fish but sadly, most of the real good action was way out of reach, especially for my whimpy lens:(.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Same old same old as far as bird and nature photography; let's close this spot!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the repost Dan, except for the ripple area. I liked the first one more as it was clearer. But understand you can't always have perfection! ;) Very nice post though.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful job with the repost, Dan. I like it a lot.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the repost, excellent.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like the orig. just would have cropped it to more of a pano. Good photoshop work.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan, really nice! Super PS work!!
    "It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera... they are made with the eye, heart, and head." - Henri Cartier Bresson

Please visit me on the web at http://kerryperkinsphotography.com

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dan, repost rocks - but so does the original :)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful composition, Dan. Love the each of the pose and the repost. TFS.