Thread: Hay barn

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Hay barn

Attached Images Attached Images

This is an image taken just before Christmas, 2007 of the Tantramar Marsh area of New Brunswick (my back yard). These fields were once salt marsh that would flood on every tide. The Bay of Fundy has the highest tides in the world. The French Acadians dyked the land and converted it into hay fields. There used to be many of these hay barns on the marsh but they are falling down and not being rebuilt.

40D, 24-105mm F4L @105 mm, 1/125s, F8, +0.7, ISO 160. Cropped to produce panorama format.

Alfred Forns

I like the careful placement of all elements If anything would have taken a few steps to the left to move the barn more to the right

Nice soft light and great feel !!!!

Robert Amoruso

Attached Images Attached Images

John,

I moved this to pano forum as it fits those proportions.

I posted a version below that I did a local contrast enhancement to using unsharp mask at amount 25%, radius 30% and threshold 0. A little too much but you can experiment with other settings if you like. I also placed a rule of thirds grid on the image to show how well you layered it in the three horizontal thirds. By placing the elements of the image pleasingly, you created a thoughtful composition.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

John,
    I think that this image is a good example of the right idea, well implemented, but shortchanged by the conditions at hand. What I mean to say is that your composition is good, as is the lighting, but I'm distracted by the myriad of minutiae that, combined, distract from the otherwise simple composition. The snow has so many tracks/ridges that it holds attention that snooth snow would otherwise yield to the three strong vertical lines of the fence in the foreground, the line of bumpy things (haystacks?), and the barn.
    I'd urge you to check on the conditions here to see if you can create an image that can get that story across without all of the rough snow stealing its thunder.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Davids comments are well thought out, as is your image. It just needs some different angles and more shoots to get you where your vision wants it to be. Keep after this one. It has great potential to be a lonely desolate image. I love those. Emotional impact always makes an image better.