Thread: Glossy ibis at high ISo and High key

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Glossy ibis at high ISo and High key

Attached Images Attached Images

Usually my limit with the D300 is about 640ISO but sometimes, if the light is good enought or I desesperately need to capture the action I use ISO800. To capture this guy in the late light of the day ISO800 was not enought so I tried ISO1000 and I am happy with the result. Not a lot of noise because the image is overxpose to get the sky white and as much details in the plumage as posible. :)
    Nikon D300, AFS Nikkor 500VR, handheld, manual exposure, f5,6 ISO1000 1/1000s croped to vertical

C&C are wellcomed ;)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Juan a bit different. I like it! I use my D300 at iso 800 quite a bit without issues, post processing in NX2.

Axel Hildebrandt

Cool pose, good eye contact and light. It looks a bit too contrasty on my monitor. I'm surprised the bands are above the knee joint, doesn't look comfortable.

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

I like the warm tones, Juan - exposure looks great. I also try and limit ISO on the D300 - 400 if possible but have worked comfortably at 800 quite often. No intrusive noise in this image to my eye
    Tony Whitehead
    Visit my blog at WildLight Photography for latest news and images.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

great light on the wings and spread Juan...why is this bird tagged around the legs?
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You got very good details without compromising quality. Noise is almost unnoticeable. I am with Axel about the rings on legs, that looks like pain.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi all and thanks for the comments. :-)
    This guy is part of the biggest and, perhaps, the only one breeding colony of this species in Spain that is formed by about 2500-3000 pairs in Doñana National Park. This colony has been monitored from several years ago in a long term project by the scientifics in Doñana Biological Station and each year a very important number of chicks are banded. It is hard to find a bird without a leg band (exactly the same can be said about flamingos). As far as I can remember long legged birds like ibises, spoonbills, storks and flamingos are banded above the knee joint . The banding is performed by a professional team so I guess there is no damege for the birds. Hope this helps :)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Juan, I shoot ISO 800 all the time with my D300 with no issues at all and up to 1600 comfortably. Granted I use Imagenomic for the noise, but thats what the software is for right.
    Now for your image... I like the wingspread and you appear to have some nice feather detail.