Thread: Fighting griffon vultures

Nikolay Staykov - shotlandetsa

Default Fighting griffon vultures

A photo from the last summer.
    1D mark II + 300mm f/2.8.
    An unforgettable moment, indeed!
    As far as I remember, it was early in the morning. I will provide more details later on, when I see the RAW file at home.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well done with good framing, sharpness ,and exposure. If you could have gotten more to your right, it would have opened up the view and prevented the head of the bird on the left from being blocked.

Welcome and lal (later and love), artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Axel Hildebrandt

Welcome, Nikolay! Must have been a great experience. Great to see these birds in a green habitat. Where did you find them? The interaction is great, including the nipping. Do you have an image with the bird on the left turned more toward you? There is a slight sharpening halo around the beak.

Thank you for the warm welcoming!

The shot was taken from a solid hide at the foot of the summit of East Rodopi Mountains, Madjarovo.
    There was just a tiny slot for the lens, and hence, no way to change the angle of view, so as to catch the right plain.
    The post-process is not at high level, firstly, as a worked on a low-contrast laptop since few month and second, I have just some basic knowledge for post-process the last year summer.

I highly appreciate any kind of constructive critique :)

I was in a mistake - I've used this time the Canon EOS 30D body, not mark II.
    As now I am looking at the exif data, I am surprised to see the very slow speed of 1/200Sec.
    ISO 320, Exposure Compensation -1/3, f/6.3

In attempt to keep focused vultures from edge to edge (the wings has an almost 2.5 meters spread) I've used the 6.3 apperture. However, the -1/3 under exposure had prevented the speed to drop down at a too low level and thus to spoil the shot.

Alfred Forns

Great action must have been an experience !!!!! Just wish the head was more visible !! I really like this image !!!!

Jody Melanson

Agree with Axel here...

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's some wild action. Well done