Thread: Volunteers Needed to Rescue Florida Coastal Birds & Clean Oil off Florida Beaches

Michael Pancier

Default Volunteers Needed to Rescue Florida Coastal Birds & Clean Oil off Florida Beaches

Folks, the news is grim and reports are being circulated that if the gulf oil slick gets carried away by the gulf currents into the gulf stream, we could be seeing oil on the beaches of SE Florida, the Keys, Dry Tortugas, Everglades and Big Cypress.

The Audubon of Florida is setting up a database of volunteers to mobilize depending on your area. Click here for more information and to add your name.

I don't know about most of you, but this whole scenario has me in a real deep funk as I wondering that many of the spots I enjoy each year from DeSoto to Florida Bay on the West as well as my coast for photography may be irreparably harmed for God knows how long. It's a sickening feeling.
    Last edited by Michael Pancier; 05-05-2010 at 08:33 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Thanks for posting this Michael, I hope I can do something to help.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Michael, I signed up. Let me know any actionable steps we need to take.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mike, thks for the headsup, i've signed up as well.
    Gang, do not forget the power of Prayer, we need all the help we can get!
    Don

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Signed up to volunteer and also signed the petition..

Dave

Michael Pancier

Quote Originally Posted by Don Hamilton Jr. View Post
    Mike, thks for the headsup, i've signed up as well.
    Gang, do not forget the power of Prayer, we need all the help we can get!
    Don
    Word!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Michael, thanks so much for the info. I have signed the petition (used my husband's business address in Ft Lauderdale) and emailed all my friends in Florida and urged them to do the same. I only wish that I could come over and help with the clean-up. Please know that I am standing shoulder to shoulder with you all at this terrible time.
    With love and light,
    Nicki

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I too Michael have a very bad feeling about the oil slick. I sure hope it does not damage the everglades, or anything else. Lets try to be positive. Thanks for the links and your sharing your thoughts on this subject.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Michael, I've signed the petition and sent it on. There is a drop-off location in Gainesville near me for supplies that will be needed and I'll be donating to that. My heart is sick but regardless of what happens I hope that something good will come of it.
    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly" - The Little Prince

http://tuscawillaphotographycherylslechta.zenfolio.com/

Michael Pancier

HERE IS AN UPDATE AND URGENT NEED FOR EXPERIENCED WILDLIFE OBSERVERS FOR THE FLORIDA PANHANDLE:

Gulf Oil Spill: Experienced Wildlife Observers Needed

Accompany Beach Clean Up Crews on Panhandle Beaches

Audubon is pre-screening experienced wildlife observers to accompany beach clean up crews. Cleanup activities pose significant threats to wildlife and habitats and serving as a wildlife observer is important work.

Official beach clean up crews responding to the oil spill will now be required to have a wildlife observer accompanying them during night work in the Panhandle, out of concern for impacts to beach wildlife like marine turtles, shorebirds and beach mice. Observers will be given hazardous material training as well as training in a monitoring protocol, but will be required to have some background in biology and conservation, either through practical field experience in an academic or professional capacity, or through coastal field volunteer experiences such as Bird Stewards or Marine Turtle Patrol participants.

Qualified candidates will be sent to clean up organizers for activities on sandy beaches from Escambia to Taylor counties. This will be ongoing, paid work. To sign up, click here.

Thanks to you all for your willingness to help our wildlife weather this disaster, and ensure clean up activities don’t have additional impacts on wildlife beyond the effects of the oil itself. Right now this opportunity is only available in the Panhandle, but should clean up activities become necessary elsewhere in the state; we are told future recruitment opportunities will become available in those locations as well. Stay tuned.