Thread: The Rise - Delaware Water Gap

Ed Vatza

Default The Rise - Delaware Water Gap

Attached Images Attached Images

Just a minute or two before the sun poked it's head above the ridge.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the composition and the light is perfect. I have a hard time not blowing the sun out in these situations.

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Ed,
    When you get a chance post the specs and whether this was an HDR or exposure blend.
    Sweet light! Was it possible to take 2 steps right and aim back left???....why?...I would rather not have the LH side trees and its reflection. I live the fog and the far shore with all its layers....just not fond of the LH edge tree....still....nicely done!
    PS.....since I have mentioned it to others.....reflections are usually not brighter than the actual sky......but in this case it doesn't bother me....that''s why I asked about HDR.

Ed Vatza

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Kurywczak View Post
    Hey Ed,
    When you get a chance post the specs and whether this was an HDR or exposure blend.
    Sweet light! Was it possible to take 2 steps right and aim back left???....why?...I would rather not have the LH side trees and its reflection. I live the fog and the far shore with all its layers....just not fond of the LH edge tree....still....nicely done!
    PS.....since I have mentioned it to others.....reflections are usually not brighter than the actual sky......but in this case it doesn't bother me....that''s why I asked about HDR.
    Lots a questions, Roman! :) Let's see if I can answer.

1) Image was made using my Canon 5D Mark II; 24-70 2.8L lens; Vari-ND filter to lengthen exposure and smooth water; tripod.

2) This is a 5-image HDR. Base image made at 0.6 sec @ f/16; ISO 100; 0 EV; FL 55mm. Remaining four images made at -2, -1, +1 and +2 EV.

3) I was already in the river but yes I *could* have taken two steps to the right (water may have gone over boots but anything for the shot :D) I also *could* have zoomed in to eliminate the tree on the left since I shot this at a focal length of 55mm and could have gone to 70mm. I didn't because I liked the tree on the left as an anchor point of sorts for the river's edge. Chalk that up to a creative decision on my part. ;)

4) Even in the original base image, the reflection off the water is brighter than the sky. Not sure why but I could hypothesize that the light across the sky is diffused by the fog while the reflection is off the shinier surface of the water but that is just a SWAG!

I think that answers the questions. Thanks for asking and thanks for the feedback.

Roman Kurywczak

see.....could be effect of the vari-ND....that's why I asked! Thanks for the other specs too!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ed,

Roman is one of the experts here no doubt, but we all like different things. One thing that caught my eye in the thumbnail of this thread was the way the trees framed the left side of the image. It appeals to me very much as does the rest of the image.

What software did you use to create the HDR?

Ed Vatza

Quote Originally Posted by clknight View Post
    What software did you use to create the HDR?
    Photomatix Pro

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ed, I like the light and mood created within the image. My eye would either like to see more of the trees on the left or none at all. Right now IMO they look clipped and I don't think are adding alot to the overall.

Ed Vatza

I hesitate to even respond because I do not want what I say to be misconstrued. I respect your (plural) opinions and appreciate your taking the time to express them. And I hope you respect my right to disagree.

As I said above, I purposely created the composition with that partial tree framing the left hand side. I added it for that very reason... it framed the left side and added another layer of depth to my eye. You can argue that there should be more or less. I included exactly the amount that I thought was necessary. As I look back over the images I made that morning, some vertical and some horizontal, some wider and some tighter, I see that every one started with that partial tree on the left side. I think that says something about its importance at least to my eye.

There is another point that I would like to make here and it may just point out a shortcoming in some folks eye but I view it as a strength. I am not a shotgun photographer. I don't go out and shoot 100s of images, throw them against a wall and see what sticks. I am much more deliberate these days. I pay much more attention to the creative process and the development of a specific composition before beginning to shoot. I study the situation, determine the composition that I want and work it. That may or may not be a good thing depending on your perspective. Certainly had I shotgunned it, I would have had images with more tree, less tree, no tree, etc.

From when I arrived at civil twilight until the sun rose over the ridge, I came away with just 10 HDR images representing different degrees of light and coloration but all very similar compositionally. It is just the way I operate these days.

I have shared this image elsewhere and no one to date has had a problem with the tree to the left. That leads me to believe that it might be a "landscape moderator" thing or, heaven helps us, a "New Jersey" thing!!! :eek::eek:

Again, I have to reiterate that there is more to photography than just taking pictures. I, for one, believe this kind of discussion is healthy and makes us all better.

Keep up the good work.

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Ed,
    I don't have a problem with anyone not agreeing with me. In this forum it is your choice to agree or disagee with my suggestions or recommendations. I'm perfectly fine with disagreement as I think it is healthy. I also don't feel you need to justify to me why you did something! I only recommend things which I feel will perhaps make you think next time you are out in the field.

I also don't agree with your assesment of one click photography or calling it shotgun photography.....most pros call it working a subject. Subtle changes can often have a large impact so I believe in exploring all the possiblities and argue with myself which I like best when I get home! Again this is my personal approach and I am fine with people having other approaches. This is what makes photography still an artform.

Only when people justify their image to me.....and only then.....do I raise my eyebrows.

Robert Amoruso

Ed,

Great light and excellent composition. I like the softness of the land on the far bank. Even before getting all the way down to the end of the thread I was thinking about the left side tree and was OK with it. Though I do feel including a bit more of it would better frame and add depth to the image as you mention as a reason for including it. At the top left, a small detached portion of the tree protrudes - to me more of the tree so it frames the complete left edge is preferable.

Regarding sticking with one composition - I would do that if I only had the light for a few moments and make my best effort in those fleeting moments. However, given more time, I routinely vary my comps. As I mature, my thoughts and feelings change and I have gone back and found previous compositions worked better for me sometime after I created them.

Don't feel that our comments are a "our way or the highway" sort of thing here.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ed, I like it as presented. To my, not expert eye, the left tree anchors the image and balances it with the Sun. I really like the hint of fog in the layers of the hills.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am with Ed. This image is beautiful as is.

ke
    Kat Enns
    Castlegar, BC

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with Roman, except I would have cloned out the reflection of the tree. The rest of the image looks very good.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ed...the tree works for me and the image is superb esp the hint of lovely fog. You might consider taking just a tad off the top.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice Ed, like the lively discussions as I learn from different views. I do agree the top left hand corner is a little distracting

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ok well can I go out on a limb and say that I deplore the similarization of excellent photography?? (This is excluding my own, of course. I am not in anyones league here). This is just a stunning photograph that breaks some of the rules (thank goodness!) and as a result has this incredible flow from top to bottom on the left side. It stands out. It is exceptional. If you were to take the tree out, or the bit of tree at the top you would loose that Rorsach Test kind of composition that is just outta the park in my opinion. I think the photographer of this image has a lead on something no one else has.

k
    Kat Enns
    Castlegar, BC

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ed,
    Beautiful image!
    The tree (and it's reflection) does not bother me.
    I really like the soft light from the sunrise and the fog is a plus...
    Well done !

Jerry

Paul Marcellini

Well throw me in with the shotgunners. I like having the tree framing, just wish for a touch more of it to look more deliberate. The main part that looks "clipped" is how it leaves the frame and re-enters top right corner.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Typically I don't like HDR shots but that's probably because a lot of them are so poorly done. I love this one. It has a great feel to it. I'm good with the anchor tree and would have probably done the same (from dry land).