Thread: A Real Screamer

Tod Witt

Default A Real Screamer

Attached Images Attached Images

March 12th 2006 9:02am Homer Spit 1DmarkIIN 400mmf2.8 IS, EFII 1.4x, 1/200@ f/4, ISO 320. Overcast...one of thousands of images from 2 week IPT. Full frame no crop I intentionally wanted to be tight. He was defending a fish from other eagles.

Leroy Laverman

I'm torn on the crop. One one hand I think it makes the image much more dynamic, on the other I find myself wanting to see a little more of the top of the head. I thought the eyes looked a little soft so I applied some USM through an edge mask to bring them out a bit more.

Tod Witt

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Laverman View Post
    I thought the eyes looked a little soft so I applied some USM through an edge mask to bring them out a bit more.
    They are not soft in capture...my short coming is workflow I admit it, no one to blame but me plenty of resouces out there and here. Time....... I just finished reading posts under "workflow' on prep for posting and I realized after already posting a few images I was doing it all wrong. I do appreciate the crop comment and tips on sharpening.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really cool image. I don't miss the top of the head at all. If you're into that sort of thing, I might fix the "beauty mark" above the Eagle's left (our right) eye.

I like the use of DoF to focus on the face.

Blake Shadle

Really nice work, Tod. If workflow is your weak point, you're doin' alright! From a graphic design standpoint this image is dynamic and is screaming (no pun intended) for content. It does need a bit of sharpening, which is no big deal. I like the composition, but I think it could made stronger by actually cropping from the bottom, increase the pano feel of the image. Just a thought ;)

Edit: I added some constrast using USM, then sharpened a little bit and made a crop. This is a really great image that work many different ways.

Robert O'Toole

Hey Tod,

The action is great and I really like the dramatic direct head on view. The crop is different and it works for me.

So the real question is are you getting any of those Auroras you have been getting up at your area lately :) I want to come up for a visit!!
    They have been on red alert (high activity not he color) this month I am told.

Robert

Fabs Forns

I love the crop, and Blake's makes it even more stylish. Except for the softness caused by sizing, you have a winner here :)

Leroy Laverman

Blake's crop is great. I'm not missing the top of the head at all in that one. It really looks ready for an ad campaign.

Steve Wheeler

Wonderful INTENSE image! I too think Blake's crop adds something to it over all.

Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Both crops work for me.
    However, I prefer the first crop. It feels close but not cramped.
    IMO this image best belongs in our Out Of The Box forum.
    Great job with the OOTB thinking.
    James

Tod Witt

Quote Originally Posted by James Shadle View Post
    Both crops work for me.
    However, I prefer the first crop. It feels close but not cramped.
    IMO this image best belongs in our Out Of The Box forum.
    Great job with the OOTB thinking.
    James
    Now that I've read what the OOTB forum is intended to show I agree. I just didn't think of it, but at the time I was trying to capture a different image of an eagle in camera and that is what I posted full frame no post capture crop.

Thanks for all the great comments and suggestions. The pano crop looks good, maybe a billboard or my new business card. This image has been printed and received an honorable mention in alaskaWILD 2007. Which is a traveling show and I have had several print orders.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent image Tod.
    For me Blake's crop and sharpening gives the finishing touch.