Thread: Great Egret II

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Great Egret II

Attached Images Attached Images

This is another shot I was happy with from my visit to the a-farm on Sunday. I hope I can sneak down there again this weekend and try out my new lens. The 400 f/5.6 should be here tomorrow.

Pentax K10D
    Sigma 50-500mm @360mm
    Av f/10 1/2000s
    Spot Metered w/ -7/10EV
    Last edited by Paul Pagano; 02-28-2008 at 10:22 PM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice shot Paul. Another example that egrets have very smooth feathers that don't show much detail and appear blown - although they are far from it. Our egrets don't look nearly as pretty (yet?). The crop is a bit tight on the bottom. I would also try to clone out the twig that "pierces" the egrets back as well as the one in the lower right corner. A little bit of "high pass filter" sharpening might bring out the breeding plumage a bit more.

- Dieter- (aka Beachwalker2007)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Beautiful plumes on this guy. I agree with the suggestion to loose the branch passing through the back and over the head.

I didn't take the time to clone the branch out as I'm away from my pen tablet, but I did work on the eye a little.

Selected the eye with a quick mask (QM), boosted saturation +15 and smart sharpened 100% .2 pixels radius.

I think it makes a big difference.

Alfred Forns

Beautiful bird Paul !!!! Excellent pose and well exposed !!!

Would tone down the blue a bit electric looking? Big difference on the eye Is the little things that count Try looking for birds with clean bg Not an easy thing to do at the Farm Lots of times I scout for perches and wait for birds to use Another approach is going real tight Might want to take some extensions tubes with you !!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good suggestions, Dieter. And good to see you here. Much to glean from this site.

Big difference, Jim. Thanks. I had done some lightening to the eye already. I really need to get one of those pen mouses! I agree about moving the branches.

Thanks Alfred. Good suggestions. My color rendition is going to change as I have switched from Pentax to Canon system. The Pentax was much more inclined to saturate colors. The Canon is far more toned down I have noticed. I will definitely get some extension tubes.