Thread: Leveling Horizons in PS

Fabs Forns

Default Leveling Horizons in PS

Attached Images Attached Images

Some of you seem to have a problem with level horizons. It is a very quick fix in PS.

Look under the Eye dropper Tool, You'll see the Ruler:

Click on a line in your image that would let you measure how straight it is, if not the horizon, a shore line, or a line that's supposed to be straight. Mark as in image provided. I measured above so you can see what the tool looks like. This should have been place directly over horizon line.

After you set the complete line, beginning and end points, go to Image>Rotate Canvas>Arbitrary

It would tell you exactly how much rotation it needs and adjust it automatically.

Fabs Forns

Measuring:

Fabs Forns

Applying:

---------

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good one. Sometimes that straight line is hard to find. For bird (and other) reflections, one method is to measure from the real eye to the reflected eye. The line will be vertical, but works just as well.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Although I appreciate the advisability of doing all or most editing with one system and fine explanation from Fabs, I download from camera to Picasa 2 then go thro' images to use their straighten tool.
    Each one only takes a moment.

Dave Phillips

I have been leveling in Capture One, which has a very nice tool.
    Until now also making "arbitrary" guesses in PS for little tweaks.
    Never knew how to use the measure tool for this, Thanks a bunch :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good job Fabs but I am confused by one thing: why draw the line in the sky??? If you draw it right along the horizon, then you get exactly what you want and need.

I saw this in the pane above: "Mark as in image provided. I measured above so you can see what the tool looks like. This should have been place directly over horizon line." but was confused by that too...

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Blake Shadle

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Good job Fabs but I am confused by one thing: why draw the line in the sky??? If you draw it right along the horizon, then you get exactly what you want and need.

I saw this in the pane above: "Mark as in image provided. I measured above so you can see what the tool looks like. This should have been place directly over horizon line." but was confused by that too...

later and love, artie
    Mark your image the same way she did in the attached image, except over the actual horizon line. Because the tool is black, doing it right over the horizon (which is also black) wouldn't have worked out so well for demonstration purposes ;)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks BlakieBoy, Good explanation. That's what I figgered.

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.