Thread: Australian Pelican

Tony Kirkby

Default Australian Pelican

Attached Images Attached Images

This image of the Australian Pelican Pelicanus conspicillatus was taken near perth Western Australia. Comments welcome

Nikon D200
    Sigma 500mm
    1/2500sec
    f5
    ISO200

Fabs Forns

Very nice colors, Tony and sweet soft light. It looks rather soft on my monitor, another round of sharpening will make it more justice :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the pastel colours of this beautiful bird and surroundings. Looks sharp on my screen although maybe could do with some selective sharpening of eye area. For this I duplicate the background layer, choose the top layer and erase the eye using a brush of the correct size with a low hardness value. This produces a nice fade out of the effect. Then go to the lower layer and sharpen. The sharpening will only show through where you have erased in the top layer. Then flatten.

George DeCamp

Man I really like the colors and mood here. The shallow DOF works great in this scene, in my opinion. I wish for a catchlight in the eye and as our prior friends suggested a little sharpening.

Nice image!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice image. I agree with the comments about sharpness and the lack of a catchlight in the eye.

Brian Wong

Hi Tony!

Sweet pastel blue and pink, sharp contrast black and white ... the yellow eye draws my attention. Enjoy this very much.

Brian Kersey

Excellent Image. I wouldn't change a thing.

Philip Pietri

I think (in my humble opinion) given the color pallette and surreal environment the photo doesn't need any additional sharpening. I love this photo...

Axel Hildebrandt

Great angle and eye contact. A bit more sharpening as mentioned and a catchlight would have been nice.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very n ice low angle which fits my taste.
    Love calmness of this image. The head looks a bit soft for me compared to the covers eg.
    Szimi

Blake Shadle

Nice work, Tony. I think the catchlight makes or breaks the image here. The eye looks completely black. Trying to pull out a little more detail in that area would liven it up. You did an excellent job getting a low angle, but I think in this case it might have been too low as the horizon is running through your subject's head.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A lovely composition Tony, perhaps try some selective sharpening around the eye.