Thread: Bcnh

Leroy Laverman

Default Bcnh

Attached Images Attached Images

This is my first post on this site. I recognize quite a few of you from other sites. This heron flew across the lagoon at the UCSB campus where I work and perched about 15 feet away. It was sitting on a chainlink fence so I thought a portrait might work here. What do you think?

Fabs Forns

Red carpet welcome, Leroy :)

Great grand entrance with a beautiful portrait,, just needing slightly more room on top and right, Very sharp and well exposed.

If you would include your technical information adn where the image was created, it would help other members :)

Looking forward to more from you!

Leroy Laverman

Hi - Here's the technical info:
    Nikon D80
    Nikon 80-200 1:2.8 AF-D (I think I had a 1.4 TC attached but it doesn't get recorded in the EXIF data)
    ISO 400 f/8.0 1/1000 sec (spot metering mode)
    Raw file worked up in DxO and then photoshop.

Fabs Forns

Thanks, Leroy :)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Leroy, nice to see you here.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome Leroy. Sharp. Nice COMP and BKGR. The light is very bright and harsh and the bird is somewhat of a mess, epsecially the bill which is badly beaten up. And I believe that the yellow around the bill and on the neck are stains.

Later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Axel Hildebrandt

Great details, just a bit tight in the frame for my taste.

Alfred Forns

For this head shots I find the eye being the key With this crop the head looks odd/ small compared to the body Would try to move even closer and go tighter Would try to compose my image from the UR quadrant making it really tight btw that bird needs some serious cleaning up to do !!!! :)

Steve Wheeler

Hi Leroy... It's good to see you here! I really like this image... Battered bill and all... It's a hard life out there! I would agree with Fabs about room on top.

Steve

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice close up with a lot of character in the bird's worn & torn appearance. For some uses, it is just right.

Is that an actual hole / chip out of the bill? Personally, I find injuries and battle wounds interesting most of the time, but depending on intended use of the photo, I might repair that one in PS.

If you look closely at the breeding plume (under magnification) there is some purple-ish fringing going on there. Not really noticed looking at it like a "normal" person though.

Leroy Laverman

The light wasn't optimal by any stretch. Here in Santa Barbara we are blessed/cursed with mostly cloudless days and this shot was taken at 4:00 in the afternoon. If only I could make the marine layer roll in on command.

I don't think there's a hole in the bill. It looks like the skin like material is rubbing off the beak. This bird wasn't being very diligent about polishing it's bill for sure.