Thread: First post,,, Ruffed Grouse

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default First post,,, Ruffed Grouse

Here in Ottawa we have a fairly tame Ruffed Grouse that's becoming quite a ham for photographers , so on New Years day I got out and spent a 1/2 hour with it , taken with 20D w/ 200 F/2.8L , 1/100 sec @ F/8.0 , ISO 800 , +1 EC , edited in lightroom and CS2 , any comments are appreciated

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sharp, a good exposure, a bit tight on the tail but nothing fatal, and a pretty good head angle all make this a pleasing image. You did fairly well with a somewhat cluttered background. The scraggly branch that intersects with the bird's rump and lower back is distracting (as is the white blob just above that). If it fits with your personal ethics, it would not be too hard to clean that area up with good Quick Masking techniques. lal, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Alfred Forns

Fully agree Would add than by moving slightly you could have kept the head from merging with the tree I like the sloping snow very much and head angle !!

Axel Hildebrandt

Welcome, Wayne! A grouse at 200mm, I can't believe it. :) They are so skittish around here. Very nice details, but a bit tight in the frame.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love theses images in the snow. The falling snow is very nice.

Jody Melanson

Love the subject and the falling snow. Wish there were more room for his tail. Wish there were a little detail in the snow on the ground.

Welcome to BPN, Wayne!