Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 40D
    Tamron 17-50mm at 46mm
    F11
    .6"
    manual exposure
    ISO 100

another try with light painting.
    I think the front lighting might be too harsh, and the leaves at the bottom seem to have disappeared when preparing the image for here.

LED light behind, regular flashlight in front.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

can't decide if I like a tight crop better...

how can I improve these??
    Thanks!

Julie Kenward

Cheryl I love the original post so much - IMO it knocks the tight crop out of the ball park. However...if you went straight on top of the rose and shot straight down - I think you might have a very interesting image there as well for a tighter crop.

There are two things I think could be improved upon and they are very minor. First, as you said, the leaves on the right get lost in the BG. If you can't get them to show up you might consider cutting them off next time...totally up to you but I thought I'd mention it.

The exact opposite is true of the other leaves - they even brought their shadow along! If this were my image I'd clone the shadows in pp or consider removing the leaves before I took the image. The reason being that the lighting is so exquisite that I hate to be reminded that flash was used (hence, the shadows). I like to imagine that the flower is just that darn beautiful!

You are really getting some beautiful work out of all this trial and error. Feel free to give us more information about how you're setting up for these images - we love to hear the story behind the image!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, Julie. good point about the leaves! I will keep that in mind if I get another rose.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Exquisit! Love the lighting. I don't think it is too bright in front. I see what Jules means about the leaves, but the shadow on the left doesn't bother me, and the loss of part of the right leaves is minor since the rose seems to be emerging from the dark BG.

My favorite part of this image is the center where the petals seems like mountains going off into the distance. Love those shadows.

I'd like to know how you set this up. When you say LED in back, do you mean a flashlight? How did you hold it, along with the front flashlight? Was there ambient light, or was the room dark?

You are doing lovely work, and have a special gift for excellent lighting.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Anita, the room was quite dark, though I found out with the "Rose, Again" shot was shot in the same spot but with only a dim room, not dark. The LED was a flashlight I held in one hand behind the rose. (a stronger one would have been better than the $3.00 little key-chain light I used) For the front light I had a small regular pen light which I was holding in my teeth for awhile until I figured out how to hold it and the remote in the same hand. duhhhh :D. But I found holding the pen light flashlight in addition to the remote easier than holding my pizza pan "reflector" with working the remote.

I have found white LED lights as well as red. I wanted a blue LED but couldn't find one, so got a white LED in a blue flash light body and try to angle it so it gets from blue reflection in the light when I want some color.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

[quote=Cheryl Flory;483337]Anita, the room was quite dark, though I found out with the "Rose, Again" shot was shot in the same spot but with only a dim room, not dark. The LED was a flashlight I held in one hand behind the rose. (a stronger one would have been better than the $3.00 little key-chain light I used) For the front light I had a small regular pen light which I was holding in my teeth for awhile until I figured out how to hold it and the remote in the same hand. duhhhh :D. But I found holding the pen light flashlight in addition to the remote easier than holding my pizza pan "reflector" with working the remote.

Iquote]

Thanks. Don't know how you manage to hold so many different things. Great effects.