Thread: Male Yellow Rump Warbler

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Male Yellow Rump Warbler

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi There,
    Here is a shot from yesterday's visit to Buttertubs Marsh here in Nanaimo B.C. This little yellow rump was quite busy defending his territory from the other males so wasn't really too concerned with me being there. I like the way the background came out on this one. Just out of focus alder tree branches but it takes on the look of a computer generated texture.

Stats: Canon 50D, 500 f/4 + 1.4, ISO 800, 1/250 at F/8

As always thanks for your comments,

Steve

BPN Viewer
    I livein Coupeville, WA on beautiful Whidbey Island.
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I've been trying for a long time to get one of these. Great pose and colors. Maybe remove the branch to the left??

Mark Schmitt

Nicely done. Would have been nice to have a different BG. Perhaps a little bluring might help. ;)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

like the color, detail and partial open wing pose. Agree might remove the branch to the left.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

i think some fill flash might have helped get more detail in the bird considering the light and the slow shutter speed. i dont mind the bg and i could go either way as far as the branch on the left. a better head angle showing some connection with the bird would also make it stronger.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the pose and I am okay with the BG. Exposure on the bird is very nice. I think the branches on the left are a little bright.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Killer bird (Audubon's race) in a less than ideal situation. The breast feathers look a bit sharped then the eye/face. Perfect head angle for the frontal pose.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Killer bird (Audubon's race) in a less than ideal situation. The breast feathers look a bit sharped then the eye/face. Perfect head angle for the frontal pose.
    Hi Artie,
    Nice to have you commenting on my photos again. Yes, I have been chasing these guys around the swamp trying to get a clearer photo but so far this is the best I could do. I will keep on trying and hopfully the next post will be clearer with a somewhat better background. As for the branch on the left, I left it in the picture to hopefully balance out my composition. Guess some people like it and some don't.

Take care,

Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Large View Post
    Hi Artie, Nice to have you commenting on my photos again. Steve
    I enjoy doing critiques and wish that I had time to comment on every image posted on BPN :) With my travel schedule and the demands of "work," that simply is not possible so I participate when I can. At times when I am on the road or teaching it can be impossible to do any critiquing at all for a week or more. All in all I am proud of my contributions and my 14 1/2 post per day average :)

I try not to play any favorites, to give attention to images with fewer comments, and to comment on images whose thumbnails caught my eye (like your Audubon's Warbler did). Good luck getting the perfect image of one!
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice shot of this species Steve...great to see another bird photographer on Van Isl. Hopefully we'll meet out in the field one day soon :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Glenn,
    I could probably learn a lot from someone as talented as yourself. I will look forward to meeting you some day.

Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    I enjoy doing critiques and wish that I had time to comment on every image posted on BPN :) With my travel schedule and the demands of "work," that simply is not possible so I participate when I can. At times when I am on the road or teaching it can be impossible to do any critiquing at all for a week or more. All in all I am proud of my contributions and my 14 1/2 post per day average :)

I try not to play any favorites, to give attention to images with fewer comments, and to comment on images whose thumbnails caught my eye (like your Audubon's Warbler did). Good luck getting the perfect image of one!
    Hi Artie,
    I hope I did not come off as being sarcastic with that comment. I merely wished to convey my appreciation as I realize how busy you are and it's been a while.

Thanks,

Steve