Thread: Common Bird Project

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Common Bird Project

Attached Images Attached Images

A common brown bird in summer (don't even know what kind) on a crappy perch, and a project because I used stacked 1.4x and 2x TCs. I did like the light on the wing, the head turn, and the BG colors. Don't have the techs available at the moment but it was taken with the 40D and the 400DO with stacked 1.4x & 2x TCs, tripod mount, MLU, cable release.

Techs added - f11, 1/80s, ISO 800, + 1/3 EC
    Last edited by Steve Canuel; 03-30-2010 at 09:33 PM.

Axel Hildebrandt

I like the look-back pose, light and BG. The perch is not my favorite but I guess it goes well with the theme. :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Is this from Colorado? It is likely not a very common bird and might be a very good bird, i.e., an uncommon and hard to photograph grassland sparrow.... I agree with your self critique. SH is excellent for stacked... I am assuming that you were on a tripod and were not working from the car...
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Is this from Colorado? It is likely not a very common bird and might be a very good bird, i.e., an uncommon and hard to photograph grassland sparrow.... I agree with your self critique. SH is excellent for stacked... I am assuming that you were on a tripod and were not working from the car...

Hi Arthur,
    Yes, this one's from Colorado in mid May. I got him in a meadow in the foothills while I was out hiking. And yes, I used a tripod, MLU, and cable release. I have to admit these little brown birds all look the same to me (except for the ones with the red hairpieces) so I will defer to your expertise on the ID. Here's a quick edit of a frontal shot to see if it helps with the ID. Does this mean I can't play?
    Last edited by Steve Canuel; 03-30-2010 at 09:34 PM.

Fabs Forns

Thanks, Steve, for being part of the project!

Excellent quality, 1/80 of a second, I'm impressed. And manual focus at that too.
    Can't help you with ID, brown little bird may be my guess :)

Shame on the wire perch, but nice BG.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, not knowing your birds over there, he does look like he's from either the sparrow or weaver family. lovely complimentary BG, and I agree, our garden variety, and common birds often produce excellent images.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's a Vesper Sparrow...thin stripes in the crown, well defined white eye-ring, and cheek patch are the field marks to look for with this guy. A great bird where I'm from (Massachusetts), as I've only seen one this year.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The ID is much easier from the second photo. If they are common where you are from, then it is OK to play :)
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comments and ID data.