Thread: Common Bird project

Fabs Forns

Common Bird project

We are giving the common birds a chance to shine!!!!!
    Go and make a nice image of a bird you would normally not look at. Not easy, huh? We never said it was.

Check these:

http://birdphotographers.net/forums/...ad.php?t=60720

http://birdphotographers.net/forums/...ad.php?t=60724

You can use the word "Project" in your post :)

Thanks for participating!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great idea Fabs. I always enjoy photographing all birds common or not. Its a shame that familarity tends to cause contempt. In stop to look at many common birds closely they are incredibly beautiful. A great example of this is the common starling with its wonderful rainbow metallic plumage. It will be interesting to see what is posted.

Cheers

Rich

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great idea. I have plenty of them in my collection :-) As a weekend shooter with 400mm lens, most of the times, common birds is what I target.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I guess "common" is in the eyes of the beholder! I guess living in Toronto, I would never consider an ibis or pelican common, but to a Floridian, this is a different story. It's all relative. What was your intent, Fabs? What did you expect to see in this challenge?

Jory

Jeroen Wijnands

Yeah, I was just wondering that myself.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey guys, Favs explained her idea in her thread that started this theme. You can read it here:

http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...ad.php?t=60720

I personally think its fun to see what is considered common elsewhere. Jory, we have some species here in Toronto (or Ottawa in my case) that we find common, but Floridians would be thrilled to see:)

Jeroen Wijnands

a bird that you normally don't look at because it is everywhere and almost a nuisance
    That's a good definition and a nice idea.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, Daniel, I'd only seen the short blurb at the beginning of this thread, but not the links. What do you think would be common for us, but thrilling for a Floridian? A cardinal?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey, no problem Jory!

The humble Black-capped Chickadee and White-breasted Nuthatch, that we take pretty much for granted up here, are not to be found in Florida. Same goes for the Canada Goose, which many city parks are invaded with in the summer and yes they are considered a nuisance by many (although I think they are present at times in northern parts of Florida).

Speaking of nuisance, or pests, I think most of us in North America can agree about the House Sparrow and European Starling. Beautiful birds, yes very much so, but introduced and very invasive and destructive to the native bird populations. (This last paragraph was more for wijnands:))

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Actually, I've NEVER seen a nuthatch or chickadee in Toronto. I know chickadees are fairly common in Canada, but I see mostly gulls, sparrows, robins and pigeons around here, and the occasional black bird. When I put feeders up, I get tons of goldfinches at one and cardinals at the other (depending on the feed), neither of which I see that often otherwise.