Thread: Nickerson Oystercatcher

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Nickerson Oystercatcher

Attached Images Attached Images

Went out with Roman last week. Froze our buts off but I got some great OC shots. Canon EOS 40D, 600mm +1.4TC, ISO 400, SS 1600, F/7.1.
    Last edited by Nick Palmieri; 03-30-2010 at 02:22 PM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice image! On my my monitor white on the breast is slightly hot. Love the open beak pose!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Whites look fine here Nick. Good low angle and I like the HA, and open beak. Comp wise, I would maybe take a bit off the bottom, and move the OC back to the right.

Fabs Forns

Whites look good in mine too. I like the light and pose, may place the bord more to the right of the frame and for once, a little more red on the bill :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Nick, Beautiful details and fantastic pose. I love the soft look if the water and foam. I agree moving the OC down and to the right a bit. Since it was so cold I'm glad I couldn't make it-;) Congrats on the 600-looks like you'll be putting it to good use.:)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

whites look freaking great on my monitor!! blacks do also!! agree with adding some red back to the bill. love the sweet light on the bird and the open bill and the water rushing over the feet and the bg!!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Whites look good to me also and I checked them in PS and they are reading a little high but defiantly not blown. I tend to like a bit of contrast and I think a small S curve would added a little punch to the image but thats more a matter of taste and the image is very nice as is.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks gang, I took some red out of the beak, and I agree too much, will add some back.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with all the suggestions above (comp, red bill) and also agree the whites look good:). Maybe its just me, or the water patterns creating an illusion...but it seems the image could benefit from a slight CCW rotation. I love the small splash behind the leg!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Whites look fine and agree on brighter REDs. A bit off the bottom would tighten it up a bit. Not sure about the need to level this one; it confused my brain at first also...
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Axel Hildebrandt

Calling pose, sharpness and light look great. The reds have been mentioned, if it were mine, I would crop a bit off the bottom and left and try to get more details in the blacks.