Thread: Dress rehearsal

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Dress rehearsal

Attached Images Attached Images

This Blue footed Booby was getting ready for Charles & Camila's (TRH Prince Charles, Prince of Wales and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall ) Royal arrival on one of the Galápagos islands.:)

Steve
    MKIII 70-200f/2.8 f/5.6 1/1250 ISO 400 (FF, HH)
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful!! very funny pose.

jfranciskay

Great Image. I love the unusual pose. Background is great, so is crop. Head detail is amazing so is the color in the beak. The bottom foot and the belly seem a bit OOF, maybe could benefit from a tad more DOF, or push the focus back as it seems the forward part (right) of the rock is in focus, where as just behind the left of the foot on the rock is not. Also looks like some blown highlights in the whites at the base of the raised foot.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jim, thanks for your comments;)

FYI The focus point is where it should be on the eye/bill. I needed to keep a fairly high SS as the Booby was moving during his 'courtship display' hence f5.6 giving quite a shallow DOF and therefore not getting everything in focus isn't really an issue I feel, apart from the main feature for me, the head. Not sure what you mean by 'push the focus back'?

Re the whites, yes I could look at that, but as it's minimal area just above the left leg happy to leave it, at A3 size there is enough colour there so am happy.

Appreciate taking the time Jim. :)

Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Delightful shot, super colours, I like the eyes and the pose, the left foot is slightly soft but I think the main interest is around the head and other foot so it doesn't matter too much from my point of view.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the image as is, especially the pose. To clarify the focus issue - yes, the idea is to focus on the eyes, as you've done. What jfranciskay is referring to is the zone of focus - that is, the primary intended focus may be on the eyes, but there is a certain distance in front and behind this that will also be in focus, and, perhaps in this case, this zone is in front of the bird. If this zone is pushed back a bit, the body and head may be in focus. Alternatively, if you desired more DOF (I'm not saying it's necessary), would the MKIII not permit significantly increasing the ISO beyond 400 to stop down a bit, or is it not very high ISO friendly?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting HA Steve, and love the eye contact. Good sharp detail where it counts, and I like the colour of the feet.