Thread: Crying and the Douche Bag....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Crying and the Douche Bag....

Attached Images Attached Images

I was at the Laredo Birding festival and had the chance to have dinner with some of the photographers who will be participating in the ICF ProTour that begins 1 APR (no fooling). A guy comes up to me and says, "I'm cryin.'" I asked, "Why are you sad?" He said, "No. I am cryin, from BPN.'" I said, "Nobody cries on BPN; it's a happy place."
    He said, "No, I am cryin'; K-r-i-j-n." I said, "Oh, kri-jin, like pigeon. Krijn Trimble. It is great to meet you." He said, this is my friend, Jasper douche." I said "Douche, like douche bag?" The other guy says no, "Jasper Doest." I had know both Krijn and Jasper for years on the various forums and have great respect for their talent. Jasper is a participant in the contest and Krijn is his helper/slave. The came over from Holland along with a brother/brother duo. Marco de Paauw is the photographer, his brother, whose name I have forgotten, is the helper.

We spent a while practicing the correct pronunciations of Krijn's and Jasper's last names. I have Krijn down pat. It sort of rhymes with "fine" but has a sort of nasally sound to it with a guttural "r:" "crine." As for Jasper, I am still a bit confused. I am not sure if it is said "doosed" rhymes with "goosed" or "dooshed" rhymes with "whooshed." Jasper, which is it?

IAC we spent the better part of two days together and had a blast laughing and sharing photo stories. We spent more than 20 minutes trying to find the flag of the Netherlands and wound up giving up but a nice woman from the college persevered and found the perfect prop for the image above. Good luck to all in the contest. Marco de Pauuw created the fine image above of the three smiling friends.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Lookin' good. It's nice to see what Jasper and Krijin look like. :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Denise. Did you get that list that I sent you? BTW, Jasper is the one with the hair!
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That one got me laughing Artie. Ever thought of doing stand-up comedy?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Actually, yes. I was on a panel at the Pro Tour event and there were no questions so I told the story above with a few embellishments. They were rolling on the floor and I felt as if I were on Letterman...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Thanks Denise. Did you get that list that I sent you? BTW, Jasper is the one with the hair!
    Yes I did. E-mail sent. I knew Jasper was the one with hair:)

Judy Lynn Malloch

All are looking good . Great to see what these to photographers look like. All the best to you both as you head out on tour.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thx for sharing Artie. Always nice to put faces to names.

Alfred Forns

Best of luck on the contest I think it has to be the hardest of all !!! Besides all the images you have to come up with I don't think they are allowed to crop !!! I'm sure this being your second year you are going to fair much better having learned the ropes.

Dale Franz also participates and does well, think he came in second last year !!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Alfred, Not sure if Jasper and Krijin will have internet access on their ranch....Dale has come in 2nd two years in a row. A really good photographer named Rolf Nussbaumer from Sweden I think has won something like 6 of the 7 TX contests he has been in.... They are gunning for him. He works very hard, is obviously a superb naturalist, and is a set-up master,

Do you and Fabs want to drive up Friday, photograph the baby cranes SAT and SUN morning and work on the SE. FLA guide on SAT? There are tons of wild flowers...

Alfred Forns

... sent email Artie !!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie
    You have a new avocation Comedy monologue :D

Philip Pietri

Awesome story hahaha. I must admit - when you said douche bag I was looking for myself in the picture.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Phillip, I like a guy with a sense of humor. That's why I like looking in the mirror!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie,

Crying here from lovely pablito ranch, jim hogg county. Jasper has me running all over the place, I have to get up at 3 every morning and have to endure untill 10 carying his lenses and handling rattlesnakes (which I have never seen before comming to Texas). So my conclusion is just stick with Douche because he really is one ;):D. No serious we are having a blast here, great subjects and cool ranch owners! We are still talking about meeting you and what a great time we had talking and sharing about photography with one of the best bird/nature photographers out there! Thanks for the great time and private photo presentation, it was absolutely stunning. And we are comming to Florida for sure and of course hope that one day we can show you around in the Netherlands! For now see you at BPN!

Later and love and respect

Krijin AKA Crying

Jasper Doest

p.s. Denise it was great talking to you on the phone, really funny!:D

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Ditto:D It was nice talking to you both.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper Doest View Post
    p.s. Denise it was great talking to you on the phone, really funny!:D
    Jasper:

"Doosed" rhymes with "goosed" or "dooshed" rhymes with "whooshed." Which is it?

How is the photography going? Which ranch did Rolf wind up on? (I had heard that there was a problem with his original ranch.)

Good luck!

Jasper Doest

Hi Artie,

Douche Bag here....I see my slave already send you a message. I dunno where he found some time to do all that...shouldn't he be working? ;)
    The photography is going pretty well. Lots of oppertunities here in sunny Jim Hogg county. Despite the long days (I'm exhausted and so is my slave) we're really enjoying ourselves. The ranchowners slowly turn us into Dutch cowboys...great people, great place....wild texas it is.

I dunno about Rolf...but I hope he's having a blast as well.

Ok....let's get my name right. Doest is pronounced like "Boost"....but with a D instead of a B. Boost Doest....Boost Doest....Boost Doest. But you can call me anything you want. It was great to meet you man. I'll never forget your stand-up comedy act during the symposium....ROTFL man....you're good.

I guess Krijin said it all....the presentation you did was awesome...very inspiring. I'm really looking forward visiting Florida next year...and our door is always open if you need a place to crash while photographing our Dutch birdies.

Ok, back to work...time to boss Krijin around :D No...seriously...he's the best assistent money can buy ;) (pfew, he's expensive). Keep up the good work and we'll keep in touch.

Later and love :)

Douche Bag

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jasper. Now we can boost the Doest. Hey, over here we have a kind of vacuum called a dust buster. We can invent something called a Doest Booster; it could be some sort of energy drink....

Hey, I have a serious question: what's with Krijin or Kirjn? The guy spells his name two different ways and doesn't even seem to care. How does his mother spell it? No wonder I was confused....

Do you Dutchman have a drinking problem?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie,

To answer your question.....about the drinking, Yes everybody in the Netherlands has a drinking problem, but I think it hasn't progressed to a stage that I can't spell my name correctly ;)

This is the way you spell my name: Krijn not Krijin or Krjin or crying....I was just making fun in my other post because you english foks al seem to think my name is pronounced like Krijin. But really it is Krijn.

btw I don't think the Doest Booster energy drink will work that well, as I am getting pretty tired of the guy already after only 5 days ;):D.

Everything is still very much on track and Jasper is nailing the shots! I think he will show you guys some of them after the contest is over.

Thanks for the post and the cool picture, will PM you after we get back.

Cheers,

Krijn