Thread: Daffodil

Hybrid View

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Daffodil

Attached Images Attached Images

Who can resist cheery spring Daffodils? Not I.

Experimenting with my new Cannon 500D close-up lens.
    Nikon D300, Sigma 105mm macro, f6.3 (relative), 1/10 sec, ISO 100, pattern metring, manual exposure and focus, tripod, indoors, natural light, reflectors. PP: PS7 basic adjustments, minor crop and clone, adjusted shadows and added 5% cooling filter in Elements7, denoise.

Julie Kenward

Me either! Or is that "neither? ;) Oh well, we're here for photography not grammar classes!

This is a hard view to capture - I should know...I've been trying all week! Getting those little pistols to show up and not totally lose the rim of the cup is so hard but you've done very well here. You did cut off the tip of the main stamen, though (as close as I can tell) so might want to try to back off and add that back in if you can.

Beautiful soft yellows - I like that you took them to the "green" side of yellow instead of the "orange/red" side - it really makes them feel springlike!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Kenward View Post
    You did cut off the tip of the main stamen, though (as close as I can tell) so might want to try to back off and add that back in if you can.
    Thanks, Jules! You are right about the stamen. Imhadn't noticed. Darn--if I want to correct it, I have to redo the entire image. Oh well. :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Beautiful soft dreamy yellows. I agree that the Stigma has been cut off but I'm okay w/ that. The image to me seems to be more about the petals and color. Nicely presented.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice, Anita. Soft and dreamy. Looks very much like a painting.

I've been trying for days to get a good shot of my Daffys but nothing has worked, at least not to my satisfaction.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Childs View Post
    Very nice, Anita. Soft and dreamy. Looks very much like a painting.

I've been trying for days to get a good shot of my Daffys but nothing has worked, at least not to my satisfaction.
    Thanks. I look forward to seeing one of yours! :) I think Daffodils are a bit challenging.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, Denise. :)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Anita,

You've really captured the appeal of one of my favorite flowers. Love the many shades of yellow.
    Would look good printed on an artsy paper. This flower is a harbinger of spring IMO.
    Daffodils go way back in time as revealed in the following paragraph.

Daffodils are native mainly to the Mediterranean region, in particular to the Iberian Peninsula, as well as Northern Africa and the Middle East.
    Grown extensively by the ancient Greeks and especially by the Romans, Daffodils nevertheless became a forgotten flower until about 1600, and even in 1860 there were fewer than 350 cultivated hybrids.
    Around 1629, a group of Englishmen took the Daffodil out of the weeds and put it into the garden. Daffodils were in favor again.
    During the days of the American experience and the expansion west, Daffodils were well established as a "must have" in the garden.
    In addition to the species, the Daffodil Data Bank lists over 13,000 hybrids. Generally Daffodils are yellow, and range from yellow-and-white, yellow-and-orange, white-and-orange, pink, and lime-green.
    All Daffodils have a corona in the center that looks like a trumpet, and a ring of petals all around. The natural Daffodil is golden yellow color all over, while the trumpet may often appear in a contrasting color.

Last edited by Charles Wesley; 03-28-2010 at 06:00 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Charles: Thank you so much for your comment and quote about Daffodils. I hope to share the various types of Daffodils I grow as the season progresses. Although I love and grow native flowers, there are many "exotics" I can't resist! :)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Anita,

Can't wait to see more of your images.

My first love is orchids. Had a bad winter here in Florida. Will be a while before I get any blooms...

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

All I know about Daffodils is that they are incredibly hardy and grow wild here. I've got some really odd looking ones popping up in unusual places and some cute little tiny variety that is spreading all over parts of my back pasture.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice image Anita. Great angle and the stamen does not bother me. Love the yellow and the tinge of green in the bottom petals.:)