Thread: Black Oystercatchers?

Brian Kersey

Default Black Oystercatchers?

Where in Socal can I find a black oystercatcher? I live in Orange County for the closer to that the better.

John Hannan

Hi, I saw them at White Point in August last year - White Point a few miles north of Cabrillo Beach. If you use Mapquest and put in the following address 3720 Stephen M White Dr. San Pedro, CA 90731 you will find them. At low tide you can walk out on the rocks and get fairly close. Good luck,

John

Brian Kersey

Thanks a lot John. I really appreciate it.

Robert O'Toole

I have photographed them in LaJolla near the green patch last year. Hope this helps. I would post the image but I dont have it on this HDD.

Robert

Brian Kersey

thanks rob.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I had good luck on the breakwaters at Marina del Rey. I've heard they are regulars at that spot.

Steve

BJ Stacey

Brian,
    There are a few that show on the rocks at Cabrillo National Park on the end of Point Loma in San Diego. There is even one that looks like a hybrid with an American Oystercatcher. Go to the second tidepool overlook and they are frequently below you. Not a great angle, but usually pretty reliable. Here are some shots I took last fall (the last time I went looking for them) http://www.finatic-photography.com/b...ter/index.html Others have posted on a birding forum that they have been spotted recently. There is a colony of them on the Coronado Islands just to the south and many migrate up for the day.

Good luck,

BJ Stacey

Brian Kersey

Attached Images Attached Images

I just got back from White Point and got plenty of them! Thanks guys :)

Taken today
    Last edited by Brian Kersey; 03-29-2008 at 02:25 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

They also shown up at Laguna Beach lately. If you're local and you want to receive notice of bird sightings, you might want to join Orange County Birding. I am the co-moderator.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OrangeCountyBirding/